PDA

View Full Version : Orig-War of the Worlds

julix
February 10th, 2005, 07:29 AM
We got the original DVD for ten dolaars last night and watched it!!!!!!!!!!I forgot how groovy it is. I loved the ship and the "eye" with three lights. Great special effects for it's time. I guess it won an oscar for special effects. I love classic sci-fi. I can see where some people would watch it and think it is so outdated but I just loved it.

I hope the spielberg-cruise version is good.

gmd3d
February 10th, 2005, 07:42 AM
I to love the classics. out dated but cool :thumbsup:

Archangel
February 10th, 2005, 09:36 AM
Since Tom Cruise is the protagonist in this one, I'll root for the martians. ;)

Gemini1999
February 10th, 2005, 09:40 AM
I love the original WOTW!

I was lucky enough to see it on the big screen at a revival movie house in Newport Beach back in the late 70's.

I don't own the DVD, but I think I'm gonna have to hunt it up now....

Best,
Bryan

Fragmentary
February 10th, 2005, 04:56 PM
The classic rules!
I think that's still one of the best "alien" spaceships that's ever been in a movie. I don't remember what I was watching, but I saw something just last week that "borrowed" the martian's ray sound FX.

julix
February 10th, 2005, 05:08 PM
I loved it too....Bryan we got the DVD for 10 dollars at Best Buy.do you have one of those????

Muffit
February 10th, 2005, 05:20 PM
Hi Julix!!! A friend after my own heart!!! :thumbsup:

WOTW is one of my all time favs. People that say the oldies are campy can eat my litter box :LOL: Shows nowadays have great effects, yes, but so-so acting and trite plots. Gimme the good old days any -- err, umm -- day! :D

We routinely watch old black and white shows, even broke down and watched a silent film. Incredible. No fx, no mega stars, no mega producers, just wonderfully enthralling and ever-so-memorable story telling.

It's like book reading -- kids hooked on vid games and DVDs that avoid reading like the Lombanian plague have /no idea/ what they're missing...

Give me Marvell and Byron and Pope et al, and this daggit will be just fine, thank you ;) :heart:

Affectionately,
:muffit:

julix
February 10th, 2005, 06:53 PM
Hi Julix!!! A friend after my own heart!!! :thumbsup:

WOTW is one of my all time favs. People that say the oldies are campy can eat my litter box :LOL: Shows nowadays have great effects, yes, but so-so acting and trite plots. Gimme the good old days any -- err, umm -- day! :D

We routinely watch old black and white shows, even broke down and watched a silent film. Incredible. No fx, no mega stars, no mega producers, just wonderfully enthralling and ever-so-memorable story telling.

It's like book reading -- kids hooked on vid games and DVDs that avoid reading like the Lombanian plague have /no idea/ what they're missing...

Give me Marvell and Byron and Pope et al, and this daggit will be just fine, thank you ;) :heart:

Affectionately,
:muffit:

I so agree with you dear Muffit :) It takes so much more imagination and creativity not to hide behide special effects nowdays.........

Gemini1999
February 10th, 2005, 07:29 PM
I loved it too....Bryan we got the DVD for 10 dollars at Best Buy.do you have one of those????

Julix -

Yes, there is a Best Buy very close to home... I intend to go there on Saturday and get my copy!

You know, there's something hot about women that like classic Science Fiction!

Best,
Bryan

Fragmentary
February 10th, 2005, 08:42 PM
Muffit,
Why'd you have to break down to watch a silent film? Some of the best movies of all time are silent. And a few even contain special FX that are still jaw dropping. Be proud of your obvious good taste. :thumbsup:

Gemini1999
February 10th, 2005, 08:50 PM
Muffit,
Why'd you have to break down to watch a silent film? Some of the best movies of all time are silent. And a few even contain special FX that are still jaw dropping. Be proud of your obvious good taste. :thumbsup:

Frag -

I'd like to say something about silent films... I've only seen just one all the way through and that film is "Metropolis". When the film was restored and then re-released in theaters a couple of years ago, I was lucky enough to live in one of the cities that it was to be shown in.

I must say, if you're going to see a silent film, seeing it in a movie theater is quite a treat - no disstactions, just the movie and the accompanying soundtrack to keep you company.

One of these days, I need to go buy the restored version of "Metropolis" on DVD so I can have in in my libarary of films. It really is worth a look if you haven't seen it.

Best,
Bryan

Fragmentary
February 11th, 2005, 12:04 PM
Bryan,
Metropolis is a great film. It's a landmark for both film and for the genre. No one should be allowed to really call themselves a sci-fi fan if they've never seen Metropolis. That's like a horror film fan who has never seen Psycho.

Next you should check out the original Nosferatu. It's pretty short, and probably the easiest silent film to find. And amazingly 80 years after it was made, it's still the source of almost every visual and trick shot used in vampire films today.

Muffit
February 11th, 2005, 12:38 PM
I absolutely agree Fragmentary and Gemini! :thumbsup:

I have not had the good fortune to see Metropilis yet, but TCM did show Nosferatu. For any of you who have not seen it, it is the quintessential vampire film. Everyone tries to outdo it, no one succeeds. It's as frightening today as it was 80 years ago.

:)

julix
February 11th, 2005, 03:43 PM
Julix -

Yes, there is a Best Buy very close to home... I intend to go there on Saturday and get my copy!

You know, there's something hot about women that like classic Science Fiction!

Best,
Bryan
;) :P: :blush: :D