PDA

View Full Version : Another Mattel Battlestar Galactica Game ?!

Ian_W359
October 18th, 2004, 03:29 PM
You may remember some months back, the 'LEDhead' software was available for Windows that allowed you to play some of the old Mattel hand-held electronic games including the 'Battlestar Galactica Space Alert' hand-held.

http://colonialfleets.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5222

Well, today I purchased the 'Intellivision Lives' compilation for the PlayStation2. 62 of the original games for the Mattel console on a single disc. Amongst these is 'Space Battle', a game with a familiar theme...

"Attack alert! 5 alien squadrons closing in on Mother Ship. You have 3 squadrons with which to defend her. Check enemy positions on Radar Screen, then dispatch your squadrons. When they reach alien squadrons, GO TO BATTLE! Screen switches to Battle Screen. You move the gunsight to aim. Only you can save the Mother Ship from disaster" - - from the 1980 cartridge instructions.

More is revealed in the production notes...

This game was originally based on the TV series "Battlestar Galactica", but the licensing deal fell through. The name was changed to Space Battle, but the graphics, especially the design of the enemy spaceships clearly kept the look of the TV show. Programmed by Hal Finney and released in 1980, it was the first space themed cartridge for Intellivision. It went on to sell over a million copies.

The graphics and gameplay are obviously primitive (being of the time and all that), but there is no mistaking the inspiration behind the game!

Amazon.com is selling 'Intellivision Lives' for both PlayStation 2 and XBox, an older PC/Mac version is also available at http://www.intellivisionlives.com

Ian W359

martok2112
October 19th, 2004, 10:34 AM
sweet

Muffit
October 19th, 2004, 10:48 AM
Cool Ian! That's why I always loved Star Raiders for the 8 bit Atari so much. Clearly it was meant to be BSG (the enemy is even called Zylons), but I guess yet another product could not get rights permission. These were cool though!!!

:muffit:

martok2112
October 19th, 2004, 11:24 AM
Star Raiders....I have not thought about that game in ages! It was cool to play on my old 64K Atari XL (back in the day when , if you had a 64K computer, you could RULE the WORLD...mu ha ha ha ha ha).

Star Raiders was a great game...if a bit repetitive, but when you are a kid, pretending to blast Cylon Raiders and TIE fighters out of the stars...repetition is a good thing :D

Respectfully, and with the fondest of memories,
Martok2112