PDA

View Full Version : READ OR DIE!!!!! comes to Cartoon Network!!!

thomas7g
October 17th, 2004, 12:16 AM
HOT DANG!!!!

I just saw a commercial for Read Or Die!!! Its one of my favorite animes!!!! And it comes to cartoon network October 23 at midnight!!!!

http://thomas7g.com/post/rod1.jpg http://thomas7g.com/post/rod3.jpg

Read Or Die is FUN little anime OAV series. Its quick at only 3 short episodes long. So its a very easy watch.

ROD is about a little bookish nerd who would rather read than well..eat. EXCEPT she has a most exceptional gift. I won't spoil it for you, but it makes Luke Skywalker's light saber look boring by comparison.

ROD is a very light James Bond/Maxwell Smart type of adventure which doesn't take itself too seriously but at the same time once it gets past its slow start, it is a fast paced fun story that will keep you entertained till the end.

I HIGHLY recommend it!!!!!!!

(though I haven't heard it dubbed yet and pray the voices didn't kill it!)

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

http://thomas7g.com/post/rod2.jpg
This is the mysterious Miss Deep! She has the name of a bond girl, but her powers make the perfect spy! Watch out!

Agelastus
October 17th, 2004, 03:11 AM
Actually, the dub's not too bad. I've had the series on DVD since it was released on this side of the water a few months ago. Given where I live I found it enormously enjoyable given the identity of the secret organisation "Paper" works for...

I'm in two minds about viewing the R.O.D. TV series though, since it seems that the OVA characters barely show up in it. Anyone seen some of it and care to comment?

thomas7g
October 17th, 2004, 03:41 AM
I've seen it. And its VERY different.

The world does make sense in the continuity of the Paper. But the world is very different. The players have changed alot. And you see a MUCH darker side to that organization. A VERY dark side.

The story takes a looooooong time to get going. Seems to me animes lately seem to be very slow in the first ten episodes and this one holds to that. This story is very slow to get ANYTHING done for the longest time. And you are even lucky if you see any use of paper manipulation in an episode. Its hard to get through the first half of the story. Basically its just the everyday lives of three paper using sisters, two LOVE books, the third hates them. Though there is a mysterious kid who has Ms Deeps skill, and she is out to get a certain book.

The greatest bright point comes to this whole series when The Paper DOES become part of the cast, although she enters about halfway to two thirds of the way there. But from then on bad things happen. Its a MUCH darker world than the OVAs. And circumstances have led the allies of the OVAs to become enemies. But once the Paper show's up, trouble is not far behind. And its a much more interesting series.

Basically I would suggest renting over owning of the TV series.
:)

Agelastus
October 17th, 2004, 08:30 AM
Basically I would suggest renting over owning of the TV series.
:)

Difficult to do that where I live...Britain's improving, but we're nowhere near anime's "cutting edge". That's why most of my DVDs and a good chunk of my videos are American imports.

I became a tad suspicious of R.O.D. TV when I realised that the letters were being used for the words "Read or Dream" rather than "Read or Die", which not merely changes the emphasis but butchers any actual meaning out of the phrase... :)

On the subject of American DVDs though, I really, really like my latest acquisition - "Love Hina" (the complete collection.) Watched it twice in the week or so I've had it. Surprisingly addictive... :D

thomas7g
October 17th, 2004, 01:50 PM
I saw that once:D

Liked it. Fun turtles! And I love thosehair antennea!:D

Agelastus
October 18th, 2004, 12:09 PM
The flying turtle was insane...but fun! :D

thomas7g
December 22nd, 2004, 05:44 PM
READ OR DIE is on this Saturday!!!!!

For some reason i never saw this on the cartoon network schedule when it was suppose to show in October. But I saw commercials for it this saturday! The commercial didnt capture the fun of this show. So please keep that in mind if you see the ads.

Read or Die is a favorite of many anime fans. Its a light spoof of the 007 films. But at the same time it an adventure all its own.

YAY!!!!!

:bounce:

BTW- I heavily recomend the use of your vcr on this one! :salute: