PDA

View Full Version : Ghost in the Shell:Innocence

thomas7g
September 12th, 2004, 04:38 AM
http://www.gofishpictures.com/GITS2/images/ghostJump2.jpg

Ghost in the Shell was an amazing anime that came out about ten years ago. It was revolutionary in its detailed beauty. It made Disney cartoons look simplistic in comparison.

Ghost in the shell referes basically to one's soul. In the future mankind has learned how to transfer consciousness into android bodies. Or to manipulate a persons personality or memories like computer data. But the thing that makes a person is what is called your ghost. And it exists in whatever "shell" you are in. Be it a human body, or a mechanical one.

Ghost in the Shell: Innocence is the second movie using these characters. Its worth a look.

:D

http://www.gofishpictures.com/GITS2/main.php?swf=trailer

amberstar
September 12th, 2004, 09:37 AM
This looks amazing ........Thanks Tom!:thumbsup:

thomas7g
September 12th, 2004, 03:57 PM
You're welcome!

Gemini1999
September 12th, 2004, 04:12 PM
Tom -

I read your post right before going to the movies to see THX 1138. They had a preview for Ghost in the Shell 2 - it was short, but looked interesting. One of the things that caught my attention was the voice-over saying that the first GITS film "defined animation"..... What felgercarb! I've heard similar statements at least once every decade since anime films started getting released in U.S. theaters. I heard it when I saw Akira back in the early 90's and I heard similar statments when Spirited Away came out a few years ago (with an Academy Award win for best animated film).

I agree that anime is a wonderful medium and I'm glad we get to see such wonderful films like this in our theaters, but how many times can you make a film that "defines animation"? Sets the bar a bit higher is more like it!

I can't wait to see it anyway!

Best,
Bryan

thomas7g
September 23rd, 2004, 02:35 AM
Marketing does like to push films in the best possible light.

But I thought Ghost in the Shell was one of those genre changing events. Ghost in the Shell was slow as molassas, but it blew me away. It really created incredible effects. And it was gorgeous. As much a piece of art as it was a story. Probably more art than story. It changed how I thought of anime.

And I do see films being more experimental. More like beautiful real life cinema now. You can really seee it in Macross Zero. Where before Ghost, cinematography was more run of the mill.

thomas7g
September 24th, 2004, 08:20 PM
Okay Bryan... spill it. How was it?:D

Rei-chan
September 27th, 2004, 06:55 PM
Daniel and I cannot wait until this thing has subtitles.

Gemini1999
September 27th, 2004, 07:22 PM
Okay Bryan... spill it. How was it?:D

Ohhhh....that's right! I was supposed to tell you what I thought of the movie...

It was pretty good for the most part. It was the first anime film that I have seen on the screen that wasn't dubbed. It was in the original Japanese with English subtitles - it's the fist time I've ever watched a 100 percent subtitled film ever as a matter of record.

I don't remember much about the original "Ghost in the Shell" film, so I really can't make any comparisons....

The story basically follows around 2 detectives while they are trying to solve a case as to why a certain model of female android has been killing their masters. The story is a slow mover for most of the film. Not a lot of action except for one or two prolonged scenes in the latter third of the film. It wasn't slow in a bad way - I have a feeling that the pacing was deliberate. It's just not what I'm used to with the majority of anime that I have seen.

The first part of the film had a lot of CGI in it - I think it bugged me a bit, I tend to marvel at the quality of the artwork. When it's done by computer, I don't marvel so much. I've seen some anime films and series use CGI, but to a lesser extent. The artwork and character design was excellent and very enjoyable to watch.

I liked the film for what it was - but if you're looking for mecha and laser battles, etc... this isn't the film for you. The story is a very adult one - there's a bit of nudity and some graphic violence. Leave the kiddies at home or out of the room for this one. All in all, it was worth the 6 bucks I spent to watch it - the audience was pretty small, but it was a matinee on a weekday.

I've only just started watching the "Ghost in the Shell" series that has just come out on DVD - the difference between the series and the films is quite different, but that probably has to do with creating a weekly series versus a one-shot film. I'll let you know what I think of the series when I've seen more of it...

Best to all,
Bryan

Rei-chan
September 27th, 2004, 07:28 PM
Another reason why the movies and series differ, is because Mamoru Oshii and Production I.G both took different interpretations of Masamune Shirow's manga. Mamoru Oshii took the serious road, and Production I.G decided to stay faithful to the whimsical nature of the manga.

thomas7g
September 27th, 2004, 08:39 PM
REEEEIIIII!

:rose::cow::hershey::choco::rose:

Bryan, may I introduce you and everyone to my little Rei of Sunshine! One of the brightpoints of that insane forum I use to admin. Waaaay before Colonial Fleets.

thomas7g
September 27th, 2004, 08:47 PM
Rei is quite the expert on Ghost in the Shell. She lives in Australia and has seen theh whole series and the movies.

I thought this new film was visually vantastic. But dialog tended to get really slow. The characters tend to just stop and discuss very dry esoteric philosophical stuff. And when they do...it brings the film to a halt.And it lasts minutes at a time.

But visually beautiful. I love all the dials and instrument gauges. And the film really picks up speed when Major Kusanagi makes her brief apperance. Even beside the action, having her in the film gives Batou someone really interesting to interact with.

On the whole though, I would recomend the first movie over this one. Its a bit faster. Has more action. And while it has the same flaws, its not as apparent.

Gemini1999
September 27th, 2004, 08:59 PM
Tom -

I'm almost ashamed to admit this, but my favorite bits of the film had to do with the Basset Hound..... I used to have one and I was thrilled to see anime come up with such a well done bit of film with a dog in it. I also liked having the dog in the story as it added a human touch to a character that was in some ways not so human.

Like I said, I did like the film for what it was - it was a beautifully done piece of film!

Best,
Bryan

thomas7g
September 27th, 2004, 09:05 PM
You;re right. The basset hound did add a nice touch to the film. I heard the reason for it is cause the director of the film owns one too.

I think we basically agreed on the film. A pretty film, that is slow at times.

Rei-chan
September 27th, 2004, 11:01 PM
zOmg, Darrell~!

I haven't seen Innocence yet because Australia is very low on the film distribution food chain... However, I did get to see an interview with Mamoru Oshii about why he chose to present Innocence the way he did. It was very interesting. And this is why you should all go out and buy the double disc edition of the first volume of Stand Alone Complex :D (It won't come out here for some months, so Daniel had it imported XD)

Yaaaaay Tom~ :D

thomas7g
September 27th, 2004, 11:04 PM
:glomp:

:D:D:D

thomas7g
September 28th, 2004, 01:59 AM
just saw this

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/
Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence Box Office Results (2004-09-21 02:19:12)
Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence (http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/anime.php?id=2081) premiered in North American theaters on Friday and earned $317,722 by the end of the weekend, placing it 28th at the box office. It was shown at 47 theaters around the United States and earned an average if $6,760 per theater, the highest per theater average in the top 40 box office movies. :salute:

Gemini1999
September 28th, 2004, 08:24 AM
Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence Box Office Results (2004-09-21 02:19:12)
Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence premiered in North American theaters on Friday and earned $317,722 by the end of the weekend, placing it 28th at the box office. It was shown at 47 theaters around the United States and earned an average if $6,760 per theater, the highest per theater average in the top 40 box office movies.

Tom -

I find it interesting that out of those 47 theaters, that both Sacramento and Davis were two of them. Usually, we lose movies with limited releases to San Francisco and the surrounding Bay Area. I saw the preview in a theater in Berkeley....

I'm glad that my 6 bucks counted for something!

Best,
Bryan