PDA

View Full Version : The great Jerry Goldsmith has passed away...

BSGDAN
July 22nd, 2004, 02:29 PM
The composer of many classic scifi scores-including the incredible music for "Star Trek: The Motion Picture"-has died. He was truly one of the most creative composers ever to work in film, and his work will be dearly missed.

Dan

Archangel
July 22nd, 2004, 02:43 PM
Hollywood will definately miss his talent

ElvisLiS
July 22nd, 2004, 04:51 PM
My wife told me this morning. Out of interest she checked the response over at the "Star Trek Paramount" site and found a web condolences book to his family and freinds , FYI those interested in posting.

Cheers

thomas7g
July 22nd, 2004, 05:15 PM
I'm sorry to hear that. :(

He also did Star Trek V-Final Frontier, Insurrection, Nemesis, First Contact, and the opening themes to Voyager,

And also worked on In Harms Way as a piano player which is a movie we've talked about. And also composed on Basic Instinct, Air Force ONe, Mulan, The Mummy, Planet of the Apes, Logan's Run, Alien, and First Blood amoung many others.

And TV shows such as Perry Mason, Gunsmoke, Twilight Zone, The Fugitive, Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea, Room 222, The Waltons (theme)....

:(

Eric Paddon
July 22nd, 2004, 06:23 PM
One can't ignore his memorable score for "Patton" for which he deserved an Oscar but got shafted of one thanks to the tin-ears of the Academy who gave the prize to "Love Story" in what for me ranks as the biggest travesty in the history of the Oscars in the Best Score category.

Jerry Goldsmith, along with John Williams, Elmer Bernstein and John Barry, became the new generation of giants in film music composer after the era of Alfred Newman, Miklos Rozsa and Franz Waxman came to an end. He is sadly the first of that talented group to leave us, but his musical legacy will be appreciated for many generations to come.

Rowan
July 22nd, 2004, 06:32 PM
I'm sorry to hear that. :(

He also did Star Trek V-Final Frontier, Insurrection, Nemesis, First Contact, and the opening themes to Voyager,

And also worked on In Harms Way as a piano player which is a movie we've talked about. And also composed on Basic Instinct, Air Force ONe, Mulan, The Mummy, Planet of the Apes, Logan's Run, Alien, and First Blood amoung many others.

And TV shows such as Perry Mason, Gunsmoke, Twilight Zone, The Fugitive, Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea, Room 222, The Waltons (theme)....

:(Holy Crap I had no idea! I did not recognise his name but I recognise his body of work after reading your list Thomas and have enjoyed it very much! I looked it up after I read this http://us.imdb.com/name/nm0000025/ he was still working hard in 2004 amazing!

It's scary for me to hear he was only 75 years old my mother and father are a few years older than him.
He was an Aquarian... like me;)
I HATE cancer! Horrible way to die seen too much of it what a shame:(

Raymar3d
July 22nd, 2004, 08:12 PM
Oh man....

I came by here for the first time in a couple of months and I'm floored by this. I hadn't heard until now.

The world has just dimmed a little today.

Ken

KJ
July 23rd, 2004, 01:41 PM
Just heard the news. Man i'm shocked, Goldsmith's talent and the work he produced was incredible. A man with no limits to his abilities as a composer with boundless skill in doing scores for movies and television productions. Seem every year there are very famous and talented people passing away in the entertainment industry these days.

It's not good. He will be missed by many fans of his work.

KJ

Muffit
July 23rd, 2004, 02:10 PM
With him goes part of my heart :heart: ...

Ian_W359
July 23rd, 2004, 02:31 PM
I heard about this yesterday.....

Jerry Goldsmith scored some of the most moving and innovative music for films I have ever heard. A true talent that will be missed.

Rest In Peace

Ian W359

Dawg
July 23rd, 2004, 02:32 PM
That kind of talent is rare. I fear the coming generation ever measuring up to it.

I am
Dawg
:warrior:

shiningstar
July 23rd, 2004, 04:15 PM
I heard about this yesterday.....

Jerry Goldsmith scored some of the most moving and innovative music for films I have ever heard. A true talent that will be missed.

Rest In Peace

Ian W359

yes he will be missed :rose:

amberstar
July 23rd, 2004, 04:51 PM
:( This is sad news!!

I knew the name from Star Trek, but had no idea how extensive his work was.
He will truly be missed.

shiningstar
July 23rd, 2004, 05:07 PM
:( This is sad news!!

I knew the name from Star Trek, but had no idea how extensive his work was.
He will truly be missed.

That's where I first saw his name too.