PDA

View Full Version : The problem with Col O'Neil

thomas7g
February 17th, 2004, 01:38 AM
There is something I think Stargate lacks nowadays.

Before Daniel Jackson died, Col Oneil was much more militeristic. He was hard core military. he did what was needed to get done even if it meant doing some nasty crap to get it done.

Daniel balanced him out by being the more philisophical more good hearted. The tension between the two was great to watch. It made for some excellent dialog. Like Spock vs McCoy.

But when Daniel died, O'Neill lost his harsh edge. He matured. He took on alot of Daniel's qualities. So now we are missing the philosphical conflict between Daniel and Jack. Cause Jack now thinks alot like Daniel. Also Jack isn't around as much cause Richard Dean Anderson is pending alot of time in LA instead of on set in CAnada. Carter is phillosophically the same as Daniel. So was Jonah. And Tealc is Tealc.

So everyone is on the left. No One is on the right. And we don't have that hard gritty edge we use to have.

I miss Jack as the Devil's Advocate in things. He made things exciting. Carter as a leader just isn't as energetic.

That's kinda why I hope Adam Baldwin stays a part of the future of Stargate. He does GREAT at that hard ass good guy character. I loved his speech about babies.
:D

So how about making Adam Baldwin a regular on SG1 and bumping Anderson up a rank. He could still be around, and participate in missions. But having Baldwin lead brings SG1 back to the old dynamic it once had.

Sci-Fi
February 18th, 2004, 04:03 AM
A better option would be to use Dixon's (Adam Baldwin) SG13 team in a few episodes in SG1:Season 8. The rumors have Baldwin up for an eventual reoccurring role for Stargate:Atlantis. So having him "join" SG1 may be counterproductive and there might be some audience backlash. I would suspect SG1:Season 8 to explore the conflicts of SG1's new command structure and questioning of decisions plus Jack's adjustment to his new responsibilities. Probably see a few more NID vs SGC stories and joint operations with different SG squads.

To get back that hard core military or philosophical conflict you describe, the writers can simply have SG1 interact with other squad leaders at SGC or while on joint operations. Although they will follow orders from a superior, there may be questioning of the plans or orders. Not everybody will be on the same page.

With the upcoming SG1 movies, I doubt the creators and writers would change the SG1 team chemistry or add new characters as replacements or major additions at this time. But who knows for sure? RDA is going on 54, so the window for a series of movies with the original SG1 characters is narrowing, esp if there is a lot of physical activity. If Stargate:Atlantis series is successful, then it is logical to see SG movies based on that show after they finish up with the SG1 movies.

dec5
February 19th, 2004, 10:08 PM
Well Dean Devlin....who created Stargate had seem to have a respect for the US military........I hope Star Gate Atlantis does get Baldwin....who by the way got his beginning as a actor in the movie My body guard.....which Devlins dad directed....and Dean was a extra......

Baldwin also played a military officer in ID4.......

unowhoandwhy
February 20th, 2004, 10:27 AM
I think that Baldwin is underrated as an actor and would love to see him in Stargate: SG-1 or in Atlantis. His character (it's Dixon, right? I'm terrible with names and I have to check my driver's license sometimes to remember my OWN name!) had some of that hard, sarcastic, defend the weak and poor or die trying qualities that I love to see in a character.
Oh, and can I say how happy I am to see another of my fave shows discussed at CF! Thank you! :bounce:

shiningstar
February 20th, 2004, 07:21 PM
There is something I think Stargate lacks nowadays.

Before Daniel Jackson died, Col Oneil was much more militeristic. He was hard core military. he did what was needed to get done even if it meant doing some nasty crap to get it done.

Daniel balanced him out by being the more philisophical more good hearted. The tension between the two was great to watch. It made for some excellent dialog. Like Spock vs McCoy.

But when Daniel died, O'Neill lost his harsh edge. He matured. He took on alot of Daniel's qualities. So now we are missing the philosphical conflict between Daniel and Jack. Cause Jack now thinks alot like Daniel. Also Jack isn't around as much cause Richard Dean Anderson is pending alot of time in LA instead of on set in CAnada. Carter is phillosophically the same as Daniel. So was Jonah. And Tealc is Tealc.

So everyone is on the left. No One is on the right. And we don't have that hard gritty edge we use to have.

I miss Jack as the Devil's Advocate in things. He made things exciting. Carter as a leader just isn't as energetic.

That's kinda why I hope Adam Baldwin stays a part of the future of Stargate. He does GREAT at that hard ass good guy character. I loved his speech about babies.

So how about making Adam Baldwin a regular on SG1 and bumping Anderson up a rank. He could still be around, and participate in missions. But having Baldwin lead brings SG1 back to the old dynamic it once had.

You've made some great points there ..........but I think if they gave Colonel Edwards a bigger role ...............then we'd have someone on the RIGHT
again to bring a much needed edge to the show. Either that or they should
have Senator Kinsley pop in for "INSPECTIONS" that would also bring a
great TENSION to the show.

A pity about Colonel O'neill not being in the show as much. And as for
Jackson dieing ........I liked his character ...... He will be missed.

Sci-Fi
February 21st, 2004, 01:13 AM
A pity about Colonel O'neill not being in the show as much. And as for
Jackson dieing ........I liked his character ...... He will be missed.

Errrr... :wtf: ...Dr. Jackson "died" in season 5 in the "Meridian" episode but had "ascended" and "appears" (usually to Jack) as a higher being in a couple of episodes in season 6. He returned in human form in season 7 in the "Fallen" episode.
:salute:

thomas7g
February 21st, 2004, 02:09 AM
Yup. Danny boy was written back in the show. :D

The show is much better with him. Though I miss Jonah. :D

shiningstar
February 21st, 2004, 09:22 AM
Errrr... :wtf: ...Dr. Jackson "died" in season 5 in the "Meridian" episode but had "ascended" and "appears" (usually to Jack) as a higher being in a couple of episodes in season 6. He returned in human form in season 7 in the "Fallen" episode.
:salute:

OOPSSSSSSSSSS I 'forgot' about that! :blush:

the show is definately BETTER with him. :blush:

emerita
February 29th, 2004, 01:03 PM
Well, with or without Jack, Frazier, and Hammond, I hope it continues for awhile. I am not holding my breath for Atlantis. To me it will never be as good. I have fallen in love with these characters......

shiningstar
February 29th, 2004, 01:51 PM
Well, with or without Jack, Frazier, and Hammond, I hope it continues for awhile. I am not holding my breath for Atlantis. To me it will never be as good. I have fallen in love with these characters......

me too Em