PDA

View Full Version : If You Own a Car, Read This

BST
November 16th, 2003, 06:18 AM
Did you know that, in some cars, there is a device known as an "Event Data Recorder". It's not unlike the "black box" recording device used in planes.

While the main reason for the device is to determine the circumstances for activating an airbag by collecting data on such things as "engine speed" (rpm) and vehicle speed (mph/kph), it also monitors such items as whether the driver is wearing a seatbelt.

Part of the problem with having this device incorporated into the vehicle is that the driver/owner of the vehicle is NOT told that this device is incorporated into the vehicle AND there are some circumstances where this UNKNOWN information is being used against people, in a court trial.

There is a list available, at the following website, which shows vehicles - make and model, which contain this device.

http://www.harristechnical.com/cdr2.htm

Select "EDR Vehicle List" - the file is an Adobe Acrobat 'pdf' file. Then click on 'here'.

BST
November 16th, 2003, 09:23 AM
But, my 2000 Blazer is. :( :thumbdwn:

nightscape2112
November 16th, 2003, 02:32 PM
did you look at the bottom of the page and see what yours records? first you find your vehicle, then look to the right and find the cable number (mine is 02002888) then look at the last page and it will tell you what is being recorded.

mine does not record pre crash data. i looked for your truck (2000 blazer) and it does record pre crash data. like vehicle speed(mph), engine speed (rpm) and others.

this is interesting. i did not know that they had them in cars/trucks. it is just another way they can rip you off if your in a wreck. they can look at the data and say "you did not have the passenger air-bag on, so were not paying" a bunch of b.s.

thanks again,

nightscape

BST
November 16th, 2003, 03:11 PM
Thanks for checking, nightscape. You're right, it does suck!

I think that what bothers me the most is the fact that people, by and large, are unaware of this when purchasing a vehicle and then, if they have an accident -- "Well, lookee here, we got a surprise witness against ya!!"

I don't necessarily mind the thing recording the data but, people deserve to know about the device up-front and if those people need to change their driving habits then, so be it. But, they deserve a fair chance to do so on their own.

btw, there is currently a court trial involving this, taking place somewhere in New England. The ruling from the court could be most interesting. (My personal hunch is that they will not allow the evidence since it was not public knowledge -- that's just a hunch, I'm no lawyer. :D )

BST

Micheleh
November 16th, 2003, 03:12 PM
I know my '85 beemer isn't listed.

nightscape2112
November 17th, 2003, 01:05 AM
i hope your right BST, i am not a lawyer but that should be considered unfair surprise. since it is installed with out public knowledge. with the only reason being to spy on the driver.

i am sure they will rationalize it being used "if the people do not survive the wreck" only to find out what really happened if no witnesses survived.

conspiracy theroist should love the thought of the goverment spying in unison with automobile makers.

nightscape

Flamingo Girl
November 17th, 2003, 10:54 PM
When does the government stop just spying and truely turn into Big Brother?

nightscape2112
November 17th, 2003, 11:28 PM
when they finally remove all of the states rights, then they will move to seperate the people from thier rights (in the name of a greater good). then they will make thier move for total power.

watch out then, people will spy and lie on each other just for personal profit. goverment watchdog groups will be run by the goverment. oops what did i say, they already are run by the goverment.

spy satellites already can take a picture of you from orbit. they can track you through your money, the little strip in it has nano-tech that allows them to track you.

they get hollywood to brain wash the masses through hidden messages in thier films. telling you to trust in the all mighty dollar, when a dollar is not even worth 25 cent. spend spend and spend some more, then you will know true happiness. yea, the happiness of being in debt up to your eyes.

which makes corporate america happy, and in turn makes goverment agencies even more happy than them. while we are more miserable than when we started.

oops i rant :) i dont want to start on how they track people who sign up on message boards :devil: .

nightscape