PDA

View Full Version : The Void

Muffit
November 14th, 2003, 01:14 PM
I have something to share with you. I was just watching an episode of the original Battlestar Galactica on DVD, and something struck me. You see, I expected to feel happy and excited, and I did; but what I did not expect was to feel -- emptiness. You know that feeling, like a void inside you, pulling at your heart and biting at the edges of your soul.

Some of you are looking forward to the mini, and in a way I am happy for you. It is like you have lost someone dear, but the mourning is over and you’re ready to find someone new. But if you want to understand me, think for a moment that there are people and things in this world which cannot be replaced by time and chance. When you lose a child, you may be consoled by having another; but nothing in this world can replace the pain you feel at losing that one, unique life.

Time has taken Lorne and Lloyd, nightfall John and Jonathan. And we watch the day wane, as someone waits for chimes that never speak.

You may have lost someone yourself, like me, who took from you a piece of the wonder of life, and left a hole where your future was. I scribbled a poem once of what I felt, the last line of which was:

“A void that eats away at me
And is never satisfied”

This is the feeling that embraces me when I think of BSG; not rebirth, but loss. Loss of the people whose faces are etched into my memory as Starbuck and Apollo. Loss of the music that moved me, the costumes that bore my dreams, the Cylons like chrome Romans that scared me, and the banter and mythos that enchanted sixty million people 25 years ago.

So when you watch, think also of those of us who would give anything, do anything, to have back something dear we lost, if only for a few hours. And unlike our loved ones, with the original BSG it could happen, if only someone among TPTB could briefly glimpse what so many of us see.

That the magic of 1978 really can live again. If you could only love the memory as we do.

Affectionately and respectfully,
Muffit
:muffit:

Dawg
November 14th, 2003, 09:43 PM
You have a rare knack, Muffit, of so easily putting into words the parts of all this that are the toughest to explain.

I wish I could write like that!

:rose::rose::rose::rose::rose::rose::rose::rose::rose::rose::rose::rose:

:rose::rose::rose::rose::rose::rose::rose::rose::rose::rose::rose::rose:

For you. With heartfelt thanks.

I am
Dawg
:warrior:

Muffit
November 14th, 2003, 10:44 PM
Many thanks Dawg, and kindest thoughts to you. :)

Commander Cain
November 16th, 2003, 05:59 PM
Wow. Bless your heart.

Muffit
November 16th, 2003, 10:04 PM
All the best to you too Commander Cain... :)

Countiblis
November 19th, 2003, 10:28 PM
its just a show guys, yes it was something that we enjoyed, but please dont compare it to a past loved one, or a dead child. A t.v. show could never have the love that my two daughters have from me nor does it love me back the way my daughters do. I to miss it very much, and would love to see the show back in true from, but alas it wont happen. So the remake will have to do. Its going have to do.

Dawg
November 20th, 2003, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by Countiblis
its just a show guys, yes it was something that we enjoyed, but please dont compare it to a past loved one, or a dead child. A t.v. show could never have the love that my two daughters have from me nor does it love me back the way my daughters do. I to miss it very much, and would love to see the show back in true from, but alas it wont happen. So the remake will have to do. Its going have to do.

In assuming you're new here, Countiblis, and haven't spent much time reading this forum, allow me to introduce you to Muffit, our resident poet. She can also be found at www.battlestargalactica.com, where she has a page of her own.

We are, all of us, very much aware that what we're talking about is a 25 year-old TV show. A tv show that, like others before and since, has touched some of us in an indescribable way; Muffit has the rare gift of making the indescribable described. I find your comments are somewhat insulting of her insight and gifts; however, I will overlook them as coming from someone unfamiliar with this forum and its members.

You are certainly welcome to your opinions about the mini - and I hope you will engage in some of the ongoing discussions about it and the legitimate BSG revival efforts on this board, because it seems you are in sore need of educating.

Have you purchased your DVD set, Countiblis?

What do you know of the revival efforts over the years? Of what might yet be, despite this Abomination that will air in a few weeks?

Before you dismiss so cavalierly the hopes, dreams, and real-world efforts of thousands of fans of the real Battlestar Galactica, you should become more familiar with us; who knows, you may find there is something you can actually do that will help bring the real thing back. I'd be delighted to help that process.

Welcome to CF, Countiblis.

I am
Dawg
:warrior:

Muffit
November 20th, 2003, 05:47 PM
Welcome to Colonial Fleets Countiblis. :)

Funny you should say that. I was once told the same thing about a human being. That losing someone is nothing when you think of the myriad populating this planet, that no one person should mean something so very precious to me.

And yet science goes out of its way to point out that out of 6 billion people, and every billion that ever lived, not /one/ has the same fingerprint or retina as any other. Yet they told me the person I lost was not special.

Each heart in this world is a unique entity like no other anywhere. Each life a unique character in an act of a play that writes itself as we draw each breath. BSG is not just a show. It is a symbol for me, as is a flag to a patriot or a hero to the city he came from. It is my one last belief that by seeing it again, I will have back that priceless moment in my life when living had meaning and hope held promise. It's not just the show, it's the moment in time it captures within itself, the message it carried. It is a single desperate hope to go back in time, even for an hour, and be alive.

Our right to the "pursuit of happiness" does not specify a certain ingredient that is that happiness. For each life, it is different, and to some, the only dream they still hold onto, the force that tells their heart to beat just one more time.

The life I lost meant more to me than anything, but I was told it meant nothing. This show is all there is left of that time. Please don't say my dream is foolish, although surely it must appear so to some. I did not make my heart. My heart made me.

I would just like my pain to go away for a little while.

Affectionately,
Muffit

amberstar
November 21st, 2003, 09:28 PM
It does pull and tug at ones heart.
I feel the void too a big piece is missing in the puzzle. I think this is because for most of us the saga never concluded, the Galatica is still out there somewhere looking for Earth.
Again Muffit you have put into words how most of us feel.
Thank you for sharing
Amber

Dear Muffit,
Whoever told you that the person who you lost ment nothing is an idiot. I believe that each person is unique, and the memories you have of this person and the way you speak of your loved one, all of this tells me that this person did have value. Youre living proof of this.:rose: :rose: :rose:

Muffit
November 21st, 2003, 11:36 PM
Thank you for being so sweet Amberstar, hope you have a nice weekend. :)

Trevor Angelus
November 22nd, 2003, 05:26 AM
I stand behind your words Muffy! It literally broke my heart when I read the news about the new Mini because I LOVED that show! I lived in a VERY abusive home, my mother was single and tried to force her selfish beleifs on me. One escape I had was a show we both enjoyed, BSG! To her it was just an entertaining show, to me it gave an escape. It was another family that I was a part of for an hour. Apollo and Boomer both gave me honorable role models to look up and aspire to.

When I heard Ron Moore call these archetypes unrealistic and outdated, and basicly tell fans that our oppinion meant nothing, it not only made me angry, I was deeply hurt by the news.

Now I admit I wasn't a big fan of the Singer DeSanto project(mostly because I only heard about the remake) and was a staunch supporter of Richard's ever since I read Armaggedon and heard about his efforts to revive the series. But at least they GET the show.

Perhaps the worst slap in the face was the fact they had the original cast willing to appear! And after hearing their thoughts on how much they loved being apart of the series and hated to see it go, it makes the pain run deeper.

Muffy heres to you! :rose:

Muffit
November 22nd, 2003, 03:19 PM
Hi Trevor! Thanks so much for your kind words! And thanks for sharing a little about yourself too! :)