PDA

View Full Version : Universal - What About Buck Rogers?

JohnBaxter
November 12th, 2003, 09:25 PM
With 2003 being the 25th anniversary of our favourite tv show, 2004 will be the 25th anniversary of another Universal tv show. I speak of none other than Battlestar Galactica's sister show, Buck Rogers. It would be nice if Universal announced that they would be giving the DVD treatment to Buck Rogers, like the way they gave it to the Big G. My favourite season was the first. I wasn't all that keen on the second, as I felt they lost their way. However, it did have some good episodes - 'Time of the Hawk', 'The Hand of Goral' and Testimony of a Traitor'. For me, all the best scifi shows seem to come out of the 70's:colwar:

jeditemple
November 13th, 2003, 01:14 PM
Yes, they should definitely do that, because there could be some great commentary from Gil Gerard and Erin Grey. As silly as it was, it still has a special place in my childhood.

Favorite line: "It's called 'getting down' baby."

It would be nice to see some movie studios revisit both "Buck Rogers" and "Flash Gordon" in the near future.

JohnBaxter
November 13th, 2003, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by jeditemple
Yes, they should definitely do that, because there could be some great commentary from Gil Gerard and Erin Grey. As silly as it was, it still has a special place in my childhood.

Favorite line: "It's called 'getting down' baby."

It would be nice to see some movie studios revisit both "Buck Rogers" and "Flash Gordon" in the near future.

I think it would be great to see soemthing like on the big screen. As long as you-know-who doesn't get their hands on Buck Rogers.

Bijou88
November 13th, 2003, 06:40 PM
I agree that the first season was the best. It just didn't seem the same with all the cast and setting changes. I hope that Universal does release Buck Rogers on DVD too. It would be great to hear Gil Gerard, Erin Grey and Tim O'Conner do a commentary on some of the episodes. I would also love to see deleted footage. One thing that may be a stumbling block to the DVD release is the rights to the property. Battlestar Galactica is owned by Universal. In contrast, Buck Rogers is a character that was originally created back in the 1920s and is owned by the Robert C. Dille family. They had to pay the family a fee to use the premise and the character names. Universal may need to negotiate for the DVD home distribution rights to the show. If it will cost Universal money to release Buck Rogers, they may be hesitant to go and do it. I may be compleatly wrong about this and frankly, I hope I am. I would love to see Buck back in action for the 25th anniversary. Can you imagine the big Twiki head on the box?