PDA

View Full Version : Help

kingfish
September 24th, 2003, 03:35 PM
Vitreous Detachment - separation of the vitreous gel from the back of the eye - a common occurrence that can result in sudden floaters and occasionally causes a tear in the retina.

I had to bring my Mom to the eye doctor for this today. Has anyone suffered from this or had a parent that has this. She has to go back in six weeks for another checkup.

The Blue Mule
September 24th, 2003, 03:41 PM
I havent known anyone who suffered from such a symptom.

I hope your mom is feeling well, and I hope she gets better!

Sincerely
Rich

BST
September 24th, 2003, 03:59 PM
OOPS! Posted to the other thread.

Starbuck
September 24th, 2003, 07:41 PM
I don't think I can be of much help. Maternal/Child health is my field of expertise. Here's an excerpt from The Merck Manual than might be of help:

"Seeing floaters (spots) before one or both eyes is a frequent adult complaint. Floaters are usually most noticeable against a white homogeneous background and seem to move slowly when the eye is still. Floaters maintain their relative position in the visual field with eye movement. They result from contraction of the vitreous gel and its separation from the surface of the retina (posterior vitreous detachment). This leads to macroscopic opaque aggregates of vitreous fibers, which can be seen floating in the vitreous. Since the vitreous gel is denser where it attaches to the optic nerve, floaters are usually more apparent in this area. Although floaters usually are without significance, in a few patients they may indicate a tear in the retina. They are more prevalent in highly myopic and older persons and tend to become less noticeable with time."

Good luck! :)

shiningstar
September 27th, 2003, 08:25 PM
I'm sorry Kingfish. But from what I know of 'floaters' they
can't be removed. From what I've been told by the docs
it's an ordinary part of aging. I have quite a few floaters
myself.