PDA

View Full Version : G80-06:The Return of Starbuck.

Flamingo Girl
September 1st, 2003, 04:57 PM
Series stars: Lorne Greene, Kent McCord, Barry Van Dyke, Robyn Douglass, Richard Lynch, Robbie Rist, Richard Eastman, Vernan Weddle, Herbert Jefferson Jr., Patrick Stuart, Allan Miller

Guest stars: Dirk Benedict, Judith Chapman

Dr. Zee confronts Adama about an odd dream he had about his own origins. The dream was about Starbuck, and how he ended his days after his service to Galactica. His ship incapacitated in a battle, he’s forced to drift to a habitable planet, abandoned by the fleet that can’t afford to rescue him as they are under attack by a large Cylon force. He crashes onto a desert-like planet, that he names the Planet Starbuck, in the escape pod from his viper, and sets out to see what else might be inhabiting the planet, but finds only a crashed Cylon ship. Using the destroyed ship, he built a shelter for himself, and desperate for companionship, he rebuilds one of they Cylon Centurions, and reasons with it to make a friend out of it, teaching it about humans, and engaging in an interesting game of pyramid. After something resembling an argument, Cy wanders off in search of a woman for Starbuck. He returns with a strange, silent, pregnant woman “from a dimension beyond who came in the usual way”. Starbuck manages to build a ship for him, Angela, and the baby out of remaining pieces of the two ships, but the escape is made difficult by the arrival of a Cylon ship. Angela tells Starbuck that it is his judgement day, and his inability to destroy Cy and his willingness to send her and the baby off to Galactica while sacrificing himself for them convinces her that he is a good man, and she sends the baby off while he and Cy battle the incoming Centurions. Cy is destroyed defending Starbuck, leaving him alone again. The pod carries the baby to Galactica, and Adama admits that the baby is in fact Dr. Zee.

Faust
November 29th, 2003, 01:33 PM
This is really the only episode worth watching out of the Galactica 1980 episodes. The rest were really horrid and well worth forgetting.

originalsinner
December 14th, 2003, 12:30 AM
Its a great episode, That a Warrior and Cylon can have a Friendship, we should all learn from it! The DVD should of had this episode!

shiningstar
January 11th, 2004, 07:25 PM
This episode I saw. I really liked it ....... although I like
anything with the enemy/mine theme.

originalsinner
January 24th, 2004, 04:44 PM
Maybe the hole season of Galactica 80 was Starbucks dream, After Cy died. he brushes back his hair, suddenly awakes to say, Man i better tell the Commander, theres no use in going to earth! the Earth People are all on plant vaper!

braxiss
March 3rd, 2004, 08:09 PM
Maybe the hole season of Galactica 80 was Starbucks dream, After Cy died. he brushes back his hair, suddenly awakes to say, Man i better tell the Commander, theres no use in going to earth! the Earth People are all on plant vaper!

perfect, i really like your point of view here

kingfish
March 4th, 2004, 05:35 AM
This was originally a season 2 script with Starbuck being rescued at the end of the episode. I doubt that they will release Galactica 1980 on DVD.

shiningstar
March 4th, 2004, 03:02 PM
This was originally a season 2 script with Starbuck being rescued at the end of the episode. I doubt that they will release Galactica 1980 on DVD.

THe only EP I would watch on that one if they DID was "RETURN OF STARBUCK"

That one was the only ep worth watching. :...:

lucky13
March 13th, 2004, 11:26 PM
Awesome I just bought the COMPLETE EPIC Series but could not find this episode in the set. Is it because this was a Galactica 80 episode. I remember seeing it years ago and wanted to get my hands on this episode. Why was it not included in new DVD release I am disappointed. It was one of my favorite episodes?

lucky13
March 13th, 2004, 11:30 PM
Series stars: Lorne Greene, Kent McCord, Barry Van Dyke, Robyn Douglass, Richard Lynch, Robbie Rist, Richard Eastman, Vernan Weddle, Herbert Jefferson Jr., Patrick Stuart, Allan Miller

Dr. Zee confronts Adama about an odd dream he had about his own origins. The dream was about Starbuck, and how he ended his days after his service to Galactica. His ship incapacitated in a battle, he’s forced to drift to a habitable planet, abandoned by the fleet that can’t afford to rescue him as they are under attack by a large Cylon force. He crashes onto a desert-like planet, that he names the Planet Starbuck, in the escape pod from his viper, and sets out to see what else might be inhabiting the planet, but finds only a crashed Cylon ship. Using the destroyed ship, he built a shelter for himself, and desperate for companionship, he rebuilds one of they Cylon Centurions, and reasons with it to make a friend out of it, teaching it about humans, and engaging in an interesting game of pyramid. After something resembling an argument, Cy wanders off in search of a woman for Starbuck. He returns with a strange, silent, pregnant woman “from a dimension beyond who came in the usual way”. Starbuck manages to build a ship for him, Angela, and the baby out of remaining pieces of the two ships, but the escape is made difficult by the arrival of a Cylon ship. Angela tells Starbuck that it is his judgement day, and his inability to destroy Cy and his willingness to send her and the baby off to Galactica while sacrificing himself for them convinces her that he is a good man, and she sends the baby off while he and Cy battle the incoming Centurions. Cy is destroyed defending Starbuck, leaving him alone again. The pod carries the baby to Galactica, and Adama admits that the baby is in fact Dr. Zee.
THis episode was the whole reason i bought the DVD and it isnt on there how do i get this episode with starbuck and the cylon BUMMER

shiningstar
March 14th, 2004, 07:50 AM
THis episode was the whole reason i bought the DVD and it isnt on there how do i get this episode with starbuck and the cylon BUMMER

THe return of starbuck wasn't made in the 78 season. It was made in 1980
as a theory of what BSG80 'could have been'. Therefore it would not have
been included in the complete Original Bsg dvd set as it wasn't a part of
that series. :duck:

kingfish
March 14th, 2004, 12:25 PM

At one time Goodtimes Video had this episode available. However it was in LP mode which required the viewer to adjust the tracking on his/her VCR, to make a long story short the picture was poor. Sci fi channel has run this episode during the marathons but chopped many key scenes.

shiningstar
March 14th, 2004, 12:32 PM
At one time Goodtimes Video had this episode available. However it was in LP mode which required the viewer to adjust the tracking on his/her VCR, to make a long story short the picture was poor. Sci fi channel has run this episode during the marathons but chopped many key scenes.

They sure did. I remember when it first aired ..........it was the only episode of
BSG80 that didn't make me ill.

launchcruiser7
March 14th, 2004, 12:48 PM
better than one third of the shows in battlestar before enemy mine had the show on vidiotape bought it at suncoast like the idea of it being on the first season it must have been awhile after thehand of god all of red blue siver and gold sqrdn are gone but count ibley said sheba would see him again maybe cain came back with a sceem to retake the home worlds and got ereybody killed best of 1980 and better then most of post pegasus shows (HAND OF GOD AND BALTARS ESCAPE EXCLUDED) :light: :star: :cylon: :cylon: :corona: :maitai: :milk: :colada: :beer: :superholy have a cold one in the officers club flight sgts and trainees will be welcome for my brithday monday then lets go blast sum tin heads happy saint paddysday god bless you all long live cattlecar galactica< like in mad magizine> :salute: :salute: :salute: :warrior: :duck:

shiningstar
March 14th, 2004, 01:07 PM
better than one third of the shows in battlestar before enemy mine had the show on vidiotape bought it at suncoast like the idea of it being on the first season it must have been awhile after thehand of god all of red blue siver and gold sqrdn are gone but count ibley said sheba would see him again maybe cain came back with a sceem to retake the home worlds and got ereybody killed best of 1980 and better then most of post pegasus shows (HAND OF GOD AND BALTARS ESCAPE EXCLUDED) :light: :star: :cylon: :cylon: :corona: :maitai: :milk: :colada: :beer: :superholy have a cold one in the officers club flight sgts and trainees will be welcome for my brithday monday then lets go blast sum tin heads happy saint paddysday god bless you all long live cattlecar galactica< like in mad magizine> :salute: :salute: :salute: :warrior: :duck:

I think the reason why the show went into BG80 instead of what the
show COULD have and SHOULD Have been was because of the networks
and the overwhelming restrictions placed on the show and on the writers
of the show.

lucky13
March 16th, 2004, 08:26 PM
Does anyone know where I can get my hands on the Returm of Starbuck on VHS

Now that I watch every single episode form the DVD colection I am getting the Battlestar Galactica FEVER again LMAO

kingfish
March 17th, 2004, 06:10 AM
Does anyone know where I can get my hands on the Returm of Starbuck on VHS

Now that I watch every single episode form the DVD colection I am getting the Battlestar Galactica FEVER again LMAO

Antelope
March 17th, 2004, 12:54 PM
Someone who knows the answer please reply:

I have read two stories on this episode:

First I read that this was the last one made. Larson wanted to go out with a bang but didn't have much budget left. He thought doing a remake of Hell in the Pacific would be a great show on a low budget. Larson spoke to Dirk Benedict who was really too busy but as a favor to a friend agreed to do the episode.

I see Kingfish mentions this was a script for the season two of TOS that never happened.

This is my favorite BSG1980 episode, although I will admit I enjoyed a couple others. What is the story behind the story on this one or do I basically have it written above?

Dawg
March 17th, 2004, 01:19 PM
I've heard as well that this was a revamped Season 2 script.

It certainly was the best of the G80 episodes, but I'm still willing to ignore it for the sake of a continuation movie so send money to CFF!!!!!!!!!!

:D

I am
Dawg
:warrior:

kingfish
March 17th, 2004, 05:27 PM
Someone who knows the answer please reply:

I have read two stories on this episode:

First I read that this was the last one made. Larson wanted to go out with a bang but didn't have much budget left. He thought doing a remake of Hell in the Pacific would be a great show on a low budget. Larson spoke to Dirk Benedict who was really too busy but as a favor to a friend agreed to do the episode.

I see Kingfish mentions this was a script for the season two of TOS that never happened.

This is my favorite BSG1980 episode, although I will admit I enjoyed a couple others. What is the story behind the story on this one or do I basically have it written above?

There is a ton of info on this at:

http://www.blast.net/hart/Sheba.htm

Regards,
Paul.

shiningstar
March 18th, 2004, 07:32 AM
There is a ton of info on this at:

http://www.blast.net/hart/Sheba.htm

Regards,
Paul.

Thanks for posting the link Paul :thumbsup:

:warrior:

launchcruiser7
March 18th, 2004, 02:46 PM

Dr. Zee confrplanet, abandoned by the fleet that can’t afford to rescue him as they are under attack by a large Cylon force. He crashes onto a desert-like planet, that he names the Planet Starbuck, in the escape pod from his viper, and sets out to see what else might be inhabiting the planet, but finds only a crashed Cylon ship. Using the destroyed ship, he built a shelter for himself, and desperate for companionship, he rebuilds one of they Cylon Centurions, and reasons with it to make a friend out of it, teaching it about humans, and engaging in an interesting game of pyramid. After something resembling an argument, Cy wanders off in search of a woman for Starbuck. Hmanages to build a ship for him, Angela, and the baby out of remaining pieces of the two ships, but the escape is made difficult by the arrival of a Cylon ship. Angela tells Starbuck that it is his judgement day, and his inability to destroy Cy and his willingness to send her and the baby off to Galactica while sacrificing himself for them convinces her that he is a good man, and she sends the baby off while he and Cy battle the incoming Centurions. Cy is destroyed defending Starbuck, leaving him alone again. The pod carries the baby to Galactica, and Adama admits that the baby is in fact Dr. Zee.

launchcruiser7
March 18th, 2004, 02:53 PM
looking for tela movie saw in early 80s had us asternuts finding the log of the battlestarfloating in space best of the 12 movies 24 shows two shows per movie hated the one with murder and lords made starbuck look like a coward

launchcruiser7
March 30th, 2004, 03:55 PM
best of bucnh :salute: :nervous: ;) :cry: :confused: :uhdrop: :(

Captain Morgan
April 23rd, 2004, 04:10 PM
someone has to have this on video :warrior:

where are you hook us up :warrior:

Mustex
September 29th, 2004, 06:50 PM
O.k., I know that many TOS fans consider this the only canon G80 episode. I was wondering, do you consider ALL of it canon, or just the parts with Starbuck. What I mean by this is, if you accept the part of it with Dr. Zee, and Adama, you're accepting that the baby became Dr. Zee. Or do you think the baby had an alternate future?

shiningstar
September 29th, 2004, 07:04 PM
O.k., I know that many the original Battlestar Galactica series fans consider this the only canon G80 episode. I was wondering, do you consider ALL of it canon, or just the parts with Starbuck. What I mean by this is, if you accept the part of it with Dr. Zee, and Adama, you're accepting that the baby became Dr. Zee. Or do you think the baby had an alternate future? The only reason WHY G80 was considered to be so bad was because
of all the restrictions that were placed on the series. The return of Starbuck I
liked with Starbuck IN IT. I think as most TOS fans do that G80 was nothing
more then a hiccup. It wasn't written WELL with the exception of the return
of Starbuck Episode. Simply because I like the return of Starbuck EP does
not mean that I accept THAT time line for a TRUE continueation of TOS.

Senmut
September 29th, 2004, 08:15 PM
One question. After Cy gets blasted by the other Cylons, and Starbuck is alone again, why doesn't he use parts from the five other wrecked Cylons on the planet, fix Cy again, and use the second Cylon fighter to leave?
If this sounds like a stupid question, it has been 24 years since I saw the episode, and I missed parts of it.

shiningstar
September 30th, 2004, 11:11 AM
I haven't seen that ep in ages so I honestly can't remember :P:

Captain Bran
October 5th, 2004, 03:45 PM
This is my favorite BSG 1980 episode! :colonial:

I bought a copy from a guy on Ebay years ago. It is really hard to find on VHS. I am sure someone has probably bootlegged this on dvd by now. But, I don't recommend buying such. The dvd bootlegs are highly illegal and usually look like "Craaapp" (in my best Scottish accent)

I toast a mug of Ambrosia to this glorious episode! :beer:

:salute:

Captain Bran

Charybdis
October 6th, 2004, 08:13 AM
I've always wondered about that too. Although they have always said that it takes two centurions to fly the fighter... why didn't Starbuck work on the other Cylons and try to revive one of them again and then take the fighter???

ernie90125
October 6th, 2004, 12:50 PM
I remember watching this as a kid, and saying the same things to my Dad, about it being one of the best episodes - and why didn't Starbuck rebuild Cy and fly the second Raider off the planet...?

And to be honest, I can't imagine that Starbuck with be there 20 years later, sitting next to a perfectly good Raider. So either he did fly it away, or the Cylons sent another fighter to find out what happened to the first.

During the CFF chat with Dirk, I asked the question of whether the events of this episode happened to Starbuck and would affect a Continuation, and he agreed. Also, in the Second Coming they go to get Starbuck after Baltar mentions him, so I reckon he did survive and departed the planet.

I'd like to see this episode re-issued on official DVD. There are bootleg DVDs of it, and the rest of the G80 series on ebay. One of them says that it also has an documentary comparing and contrasting the original and G80. I don't know which documentary it is, but I would be very interested to see it.

It would be cool to get this episode on DVD, maybe with the docu if it is worthwhile, and more up to date interviews with Dirk and Glen etc. Maybe another petition could help that ?

I also understand that there is another unfinished episode of G80, about Xavier time travelling back to Cleopatra's time to alter history. Partially filmed, but not finished. This may show that Return of Starbuck was not the last G80 episode ?????

Antelope
October 7th, 2004, 01:42 PM
O.k., I know that many the original Battlestar Galactica series fans consider this the only canon G80 episode. I was wondering, do you consider ALL of it canon, or just the parts with Starbuck. What I mean by this is, if you accept the part of it with Dr. Zee, and Adama, you're accepting that the baby became Dr. Zee. Or do you think the baby had an alternate future?

From what I hear most TOS fans think this is a good episode in its own right but could ignore it in a Continuation. I have also read many Continuation fans that hold it as canon simply say Starbuck was rescued shortly after the end of the episode and is with the fleet. I never hear mention of the baby. Most people hated Dr. Zee (including me).

I have read this episode was based on "Hell in the Pacific" starring Lee Marvin. It is also very similar to "Enemy Mine" although I have read that this episode or "Enemy Mine" had no influence on each other.

kingfish
October 7th, 2004, 03:27 PM
From what I hear most the original Battlestar Galactica series fans think this is a good episode in its own right but could ignore it in a Continuation. I have also read many Continuation fans that hold it as canon simply say Starbuck was rescued shortly after the end of the episode and is with the fleet. I never hear mention of the baby. Most people hated Dr. Zee (including me).

I have read this episode was based on "Hell in the Pacific" starring Lee Marvin. It is also very similar to "Enemy Mine" although I have read that this episode or "Enemy Mine" had no influence on each other.

Antelope Starbuck was actually captured by the Cylons but escaped. The opening shot of the DeSanto production had him smoking a cigar on the redesigned bridge of the Galactica.

kingfish
October 7th, 2004, 03:29 PM
From what I hear most the original Battlestar Galactica series fans think this is a good episode in its own right but could ignore it in a Continuation. I have also read many Continuation fans that hold it as canon simply say Starbuck was rescued shortly after the end of the episode and is with the fleet. I never hear mention of the baby. Most people hated Dr. Zee (including me).

Hell In The Pacific is on DVD and features an alternate ending. Sadly both stars Marvin and the original Battlestar Galactica series Toshiro Mifune passed on. Marvin could have also made a great character in the BG universe.

Senmut
October 10th, 2004, 03:00 AM
I've always wondered about that too. Although they have always said that it takes two centurions to fly the fighter... why didn't Starbuck work on the other Cylons and try to revive one of them again and then take the fighter???

Or put Cy's head on one of the other Centurions. (Starbuck's mom always told him he needed to make new friends!) Either way, it made no sense to stay behind.

originalsinner
November 3rd, 2004, 06:24 PM
I have this on video, if you need a copy tell me v

originalsinner
November 3rd, 2004, 06:28 PM
This would have been a great Spin off show, "Starbucks Planet"! just add the Movie Star, and Mary Ann

kingfish
November 6th, 2004, 12:54 PM
More on Return of Starbuck:

http://s4.invisionfree.com/Battlestar_Pacifica/index.php?showtopic=581

Rickyrod70
January 15th, 2005, 09:53 AM
One question. After Cy gets blasted by the other Cylons, and Starbuck is alone again, why doesn't he use parts from the five other wrecked Cylons on the planet, fix Cy again, and use the second Cylon fighter to leave?
If this sounds like a stupid question, it has been 24 years since I saw the episode, and I missed parts of it.

Since this was the final episode of BSG 80 theres no way to be sure if that s not what happened. It's entirely possible that Starbuck repaired Cy and the two of them flew the ship off the planet. Or he modified the Radier so it could be flown by one person.

Of course if he did repair Cy and they left together what would become of Cy? It's not like he'd be welcomed by the fleet. They'd probably want to interrogate him and dissect him.

Senmut
January 15th, 2005, 10:14 PM
Since this was the final episode of BSG 80 theres no way to be sure if that s not what happened. It's entirely possible that Starbuck repaired Cy and the two of them flew the ship off the planet. Or he modified the Radier so it could be flown by one person.

Of course if he did repair Cy and they left together what would become of Cy? It's not like he'd be welcomed by the fleet. They'd probably want to interrogate him and dissect him.

Which is what Wilker did with the Centurions that flew Baltar to the Fleet.. I suppose Starbuck may have felt something akin to affection for Cy by this time.

ernie90125
January 16th, 2005, 04:06 AM
Small titbit of trivia for you that I have noticed. The voice of Cy is the same as the voice of Karr, the evil version of Kitt in KnightRider.

Senmut
January 17th, 2005, 01:30 AM
Not to mention Roger Ramjet. Appropriate somehow.

luicfer7thfleet
March 23rd, 2005, 09:32 AM
looking for tela movie saw in early 80s had us asternuts finding the log of the battlestarfloating in space best of the 12 movies 24 shows two shows per movie hated the one with murder and lords made starbuck look like a coward i don;t know if its still out there saw it on betatape at icon last year, a creepy guy who had the tape tryed to cope a feel, i bent his thumb back . i can be cheap but never easy haha later [ah] :salute: :colonial: :cylon: sure miss the old tinheads!!!.

repcisg
March 23rd, 2005, 09:56 AM
With his demonstrated skills as an engineer, he could have fixed up one of the other fighters and taken off. But by that time the fleet will have been too far away for him to get back. However, with his knowledge of the region, and a ship to fly he could have gone off planet hopping.

The Adventures of Starbuck!
or
Starbucking any one?

mocha2112
March 28th, 2005, 10:18 AM
Hi -

To answer the question about "do we (TOS fans) except G80 as "canon"", well, it depends with me. Most of the time, no, I don't. However, about 5 or 6 years ago, a friend of mine and I from the really old BSG mailing list were coming up with stories about what happened to Starbuck and Apollo after HOG but before G80. (Anyone else out there notice that when Starbuck was saying "Good Bye" to Boomer, he mentioned Cassie and Athena, but NOT Apollo? I took that as an indication that Apollo was already "dead". But that was just me...) In those stories, I took G80 as canon. I even started a story getting Starbuck and Apollo back to the G after the events of G80 to "end" the series for myself. I had assumed back then no one was going to remake the show so I decided to do it myself. :)

With that said, some have believed you needed two pilots to fly a Cylon fighter. I made it HARD to fly but not impossible for one guy to fly. So, in my mind Starbuck left the planet "Starbuck" after "burying" Cy. Poor Cy got his main computer systems fried and thus even if Starbuck did rebuild him, it wouldn't be Cy. ahhhh... :(

later....

SpyOne
March 29th, 2005, 05:00 AM
With his demonstrated skills as an engineer, he could have fixed up one of the other fighters and taken off. But by that time the fleet will have been too far away for him to get back. However, with his knowledge of the region, and a ship to fly he could have gone off planet hopping.

or
Starbucking any one?

In 1993, Dirk Benedict told Not of This Earth magazine:
"My fantasy was to do a spin off of Starbuck, and that last episode was sort of what I wanted: a gambler, maverick fighter pilot. You just make the wild west the universe and he travels around in it. If you're going to try and do something inexpensive, then you don't have such a large cast and you don't have all this stuff and you simplify it."

Breea
March 29th, 2005, 09:59 AM
Ok.. hope this is right...LOL
Thursday..March 31st... 1:00pm on sci -fi channel is the eppy you're looking for.
Experiment in Terra
Breea

panadar
May 31st, 2006, 03:58 AM

or
Starbucking any one?
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Better yet, he could have just simply found the working starship that the other Cylons had and taken off in that and made it back to the fleet. <smile> :D

KamikazeAthena
May 31st, 2006, 07:38 AM
or
Starbucking any one?

Better yet, he could have just simply found the working starship that the other Cylons had and taken off in that and made it back to the fleet. <smile> :D

Yeah. He would have just needed to remember to "wag his ears".

Starbucking........Yummmmmmm!

spcglider
June 1st, 2006, 01:14 PM

or
Starbucking any one?

Well, first he'd need to use leftover parts to rebuild Cyrus (Cy) because we all know from "Hand Of God" that it takes two beings to actually pilot a Cylon Raider. Which woud qualify it as one of the most ridiculus and pathetic fighter craft designs ever "built". Right next to the "Twin Pod Cloud Car" from ESB. :rotf: :wtf:

Evidently someone found evidence that Starbuck was to be rescued by the Ship Of Lights had the series continued. :/:

-Gordon

captmiloman
June 18th, 2006, 09:13 PM
IIRC, Dirk had actually signed on as a recurring cast member, but the series was cancelled before the follow-up to "Return Of Starbuck" went into production.

captmiloman
June 18th, 2006, 09:43 PM
I don't remember if Myself or anyone else has brought this up, but a really good G:1980/A-Team parody would be if the ship of lights arrived to rescue Starbuck. Starbuck is taken to Earth circa 1972 and given the ID of Templeton "Faceman" Peck. That would give new meaning to the A-Team's opening credits montage where you see the centurion walking past Dirk/"Face".

jewels
June 20th, 2006, 02:45 PM
That would be pretty funny. :D

captmiloman
June 21st, 2006, 12:01 PM
The G:80/A-Team parody would be a great sketch idea for "Robot Chicken", if anyone here is familiar with that show.

Starkiller
July 2nd, 2006, 01:22 PM
A Robot Chicken parody would be great, but to tell the truth, it would only work because every other episode of BSG 1980 is a parody in itself. The Return of Starbuck is the only good episode of BSG 1980.

JAFO
May 2nd, 2009, 01:38 PM
Wow, I hadn't seen this episode probably since it originally aired. Just watched it on casttv. This was a really good episode. I especially liked the beginning where Adama was telling Boomer there was no going back. It really showed the utter desparation and near hopelessness Adama felt due to their constant persecution by the Cylons. And with that said I don't think I can suffer through any of the other G80 episodes - unless you guys know of another good one. I just can't bear the sight of those motorcycles :)

KJ
May 4th, 2009, 11:32 AM
Funny that G80 motorbikes get the whole "can't stand them cliche" these days looking back, when originally, they were made for the unfilmed BG episode 'Showdown'!

Far as the theory that Zee maybe related to Count Iblis, thats a scary one, but its also something thats been raised before though? As it was also debated somewhat in the Black & White Complete Battlestar Galactica Guide/book. Zee being apart of Iblis's revenge ('We will meet again')

A child-like face of an 'Angel' but hides a demonic origin out for revenge?

:eek::(

Hmmm?

KJ

JAFO
May 4th, 2009, 05:07 PM
Guilty as charged. I'll admit, if Starbuck had had one of them tied down in a corner of the hangar bay the cool factor would have jumped by a factor of 10 :)

KageRyu
May 27th, 2009, 08:34 PM
This is really the only episode worth watching out of the Galactica 1980 episodes. The rest were really horrid and well worth forgetting.

I agree whole heartedly. While G1980 aired while I was still quite young, and the flying motorcycles seemed cool to me at the time, I never like the series much. I feel this episode was the only one worth seeing again, and still it was not enough to buy G1980 DVDs for the very limitted time they seemed to exist. Even so, I felt this episode had way too many plot holes in it.

Lara
May 31st, 2009, 03:48 AM
Dr Zee wanted to know who his mother was, what about his father, could it have been Iblis? Starbuck certainly wasn't Z's father.

Haven't watched it for a while (and I tend to zone out ANY bit with Dr Zee in it..) but vague recall says the story was told in response to Zee's 'where did I come from' question, so the implication was that Angela was his mother and Starbuck his father??

Feel free to howl me down (with proof, of course :-) ) as I am hedging with a claim of faulty memory.... which some say should happen to the whole of G80 ;)

BTW, I always thought a more suitable answer to Zee asking where did I come from would have been the cabbage patch as at least one version of him looked just like those Cabbage Patch Kids dolls.. first they made muffit in the image of a daggit, then they fiddled with cylon centurions, and then they got this idea for a twee little moppet... trying to avoid the excesses of the hector and vector models

Baaad Lara...

Cheers,
Lara

LZaza
September 2nd, 2009, 10:33 AM
Okay, Starbuck was most definitely not Zee's father! Shudder
The very thought of Starbuck somehow being involved in an immaculate conception is actually hilarious. And you know if they'd done "the deed", then our flyboy would have most definitely mentioned it. :rotf:

Did anybody else notice in the scene where Starbuck is rebuilding Cy, that he's referring to a manual? Wasn't sure if someone had a subtle sense of humour over that, or if the Cylons actually kept a copy of "how to rebuild your fellow centurions" in their Raiders. :wtf:

Senmut
September 7th, 2009, 10:36 PM
The question, from Zee though, makes a certain sense. He wasn't there, of course, and mom didn't stick around to fill him in on things. Bucko isn't available for comment, so a certain degree of wonderment is understandable.
Now, how about a DNA test?

LZaza
September 8th, 2009, 12:28 AM
Of course by this time the network would do anything to try to make that annoying kid likable, even going as far as to intimate that Zee could possibly be Starbuck's child.

Looks at Zee. Looks at Starbuck. Looks at Angela. Shakes head.

You've been set up, Bucko. You should have known it was coming when she ate all your rations.

Athene
September 9th, 2009, 11:05 AM
I really like that episode.
It's one of my favourite G80 episodes.
I confess I like Galactica 1980 :duck: :D
*I think I might have said that already...* ;)
I also feel it ended well...
Has anyone else seen the fan edited version where Starbuck returns to the fleet?
I've got that saved on my computer.

LZaza
September 9th, 2009, 11:51 AM
I loved the fan version of that. Now that was the way it should have ended . . . either that, or Boomer or Apollo going back for him. I refuse to believe that Apollo was dead at that point. :errr:

What I didn't like about the ending was Starbuck alone and about to starve to death, since Angela apparently scoffed his rations. It didn't ease my mind that he was now officially "good". Especially after all the heroic deeds in TOS. Really, it wasn't much of a long shot that this Colonial Warrior that had been willing to sacrifice his life in so many other situations, would again offer to do so for a woman and baby.

However, at the time it aired I admit that I was in BSG Heaven, finally seeing Starbuck once again. My jaundiced view of the episode came years later after seeing it again on You Tube. And after reading "Loyalty Check" by Fran Severn, and realizing that the potential to bring Starbuck back to the Fleet in a re-imagined fanfiction world was so much more fulfilling than the original concept.

Benedict
September 9th, 2009, 04:34 PM
Like most, it's the only BSG80 I really like years on from last seeing it (late 90's I believe). I can't bring myself to like it as much as the original series. But yes, good to see Starbuck again even if the ending did not agree.

Benedict
October 5th, 2010, 05:00 PM
Unlike my previous post I've only just re-watched the episode when writing this one. First time since I was about 10 I think. Back then I was sad at the ending and today probably the first time tears sprung to my eyes. Two moments: when Boomer says goodbye to Starbuck then when you see Starbuck sit on that rock right at the end.

Having finished G80, I can't say I'll go back to it unless pushed. Stick with my writing or try to get hold of Richard Hatch's books I think

LZaza
October 5th, 2010, 07:02 PM
Having finished G80, I can't say I'll go back to it unless pushed. Stick with my writing or try to get hold of Richard Hatch's books I think

You'll get a better bang for your (Star)buck here:

http://galacticafanfic.com/bsg-page.html

Benedict
October 5th, 2010, 07:23 PM
You'll get a better bang for your (Star)buck here:

http://galacticafanfic.com/bsg-page.html

thanks, have to have a proper look later but looks to be bundles on there and all original-era. Might try later to get some of mine up there. :salute:

LZaza
October 5th, 2010, 07:31 PM
It's all Original Series BSG. And Robert Hanczyk is happy to add more of the same fan fics to the library. There's a link there to contact him.

LZaza
October 5th, 2010, 07:33 PM
Of course, there's also a library here at Fleets and another over at the BSG Club . . . http://bsgc.proboards.com/:salute:

Benedict
October 5th, 2010, 07:39 PM
crumbs, certainly a lot to look at. Maybe I'll sprinkle it here and there, see what happens. Ask the appropriate folks and whatnot :) thanks again.

cyfilon
October 30th, 2010, 08:22 AM
there is on the web a story line about a possible third season of bsg called starbuck's quest which would have had starbuck in the raider cy came in looking for the fleet the neat'ist part of this story is that joan river's would have played a female IL cylon called lilth and that this robot was the base'st of dot matrix of space ball's fame i met her once and she said it was true but after the bad rating's of bsg/198o this whole idea was put on hold but she told mell brook's about the female robot and he liked it so much it was put in the spaceball's story my grampa said he had seen some footage of her in this role but i cant find it past the fact it is on several bsg site 's the star buck;s quest part i mean.

Jubal
November 28th, 2010, 09:56 PM
I laughed when it was pointed out about the manual. Do Cylon raiders have an instruction manual for other Cylons on how to rebuild each other? LOL

(Nope... probably built in the memory of a Cylon memory bank.)

You know what made original era Cylons cool? They were different. They were machines, cold, mechanical, efficient, and not human. They were scary knight looking, villians that you got great enjoyment shooting with a blaster.

So in this Robinson Crusoe type story, you have a fun time with Starbuck's man Friday... er.. Cy, and that makes for a good tale. You learn some insight between the similarities and differences between Cylons and humans.

I think as the viewer, all fanfare of seeing Starbuck again and how fun all that was, I am not sure I WANT to understand Cylons. It was like they were starting to take the Cylons down that path of making them a villian we could relate to and understand, and honestly, I never wanted that with the Cylons.

For that matter, really didn't need to know what I now know about Darth Vader either. Sometimes it is good to just keep the bad guys bad, and leave them as obstacles for our heroes to have to get around.

The Cylons are shooting at us. Why? Because we are different and they hate us for it. We tried to make peace, they are still shooting at us, hey, we tried, now let's blow them out of the sky!! :)

Cy and Starbuck... a fun episode, a neat pause to say "Cylons and Humans can get along... for so long as humans have the off switch..." :P

Athene
July 4th, 2011, 07:40 PM
Was watching The Return of Starbuck. Really like this episode. I actually like some of the episodes of Galactica 1980. They've grown on me over the years or yahrens I should say. ;)

Jubal
January 1st, 2013, 09:02 PM
Small titbit of trivia for you that I have noticed. The voice of Cy is the same as the voice of Karr, the evil version of Kitt in KnightRider.

That is too cool. Thought I recognized that voice. You know I have figured that a fun fan fiction would be to do a crossover between "The Night the Cylons Landed" and Knight Rider. Basically KARR was evil because he was the Cylon personality saved from the wreckage and then added to a vehicle. :)

I don't remember if Myself or anyone else has brought this up, but a really good G:1980/A-Team parody would be if the ship of lights arrived to rescue Starbuck. Starbuck is taken to Earth circa 1972 and given the ID of Templeton "Faceman" Peck. That would give new meaning to the A-Team's opening credits montage where you see the centurion walking past Dirk/"Face".

LIKING IT! Now with that in mind I will watch more A-Team. Hmmm... take some A-Team footage, added to Dylan and Troy footage... and now Starbuck is a colonial warrior in regular clothes. Nice!

Funny that G80 motorbikes get the whole "can't stand them cliche" these days looking back, when originally, they were made for the unfilmed BG episode 'Showdown'!

Showdown? Any copies of that script?

I really like that episode.
It's one of my favourite G80 episodes.
I confess I like Galactica 1980 :duck: :D
*I think I might have said that already...* ;)
I also feel it ended well...
Has anyone else seen the fan edited version where Starbuck returns to the fleet?
I've got that saved on my computer.

There is no doubt in my mind that Starbuck hopped aboard the Cylon ship and flew back. If two pilots were needed I'm sure he rebuilt one Cylon to help him pilot it.

Cy was a wash. His personality board was shot. Or was it? :)

Hmmm... Cy as a regular part of the show when they got back to the fleet would have been cool. Like Worf as a Klingon on Star Trek Next Gen.

As for liking G80... yeh I like it too. :erk:

Ummm new thoughts on this episode? It was a REALLY good episode. If Galactica had to fold, I'm glad it went out this way.

Canon? Easily. Great story. With Z? Maybe, but probably best not.

Was Apollo dead at the point where Starbuck was talking to Boomer? Well, I just thought he wanted to get his love off the ladies in his life and was short on time.

Otherwise he would have been like "Give my love to Cassie, Athena, Mary... and goodbyes to Apollo, Bojay, and please pay my pyramid tab to Jolly for me ok? And let's not forget Boxey...."

Yeh, he was kinda short of time. :P

All and all, great story, and I think Starbuck would be hard pressed to actually STARVE TO DEATH with all those new Cylon parts and a fully functional raider less than a football field away. :)

What I actually think is, he was just stunned. Had a long day, sending the woman off to safety, loosing Cy, and it was getting to be nightfall. What Starbuck probably did was call it a night, and the next day he got up and evaluated what to do next.

But really probably sitting on the rock just soaking in the events of the day.

Athene
April 26th, 2013, 08:30 AM
Watched this episode again last night.
Lost count how many times I've watched it. ;)
Yes, G80 has grown on me over time and I do enjoy the episodes. :duck: :D

kingfish
April 26th, 2013, 09:57 AM
i liked some of galactica 1980 as well. the pilot episode was cool imho. dillon and troy weren't bad either. the super scouts was the demise of the show imho. the campfire song stated it all. "please cancel me," should have been the title of the song. the night the cylons landed is one of my favorites. the home video version had a scene where the humanoid cylons can't wait to engage one of those primitive vipers. spacfeball was just that a ball of pooh. the kids take the camera apart and put it back together in a few seconds. wow what smart kids. that should have given the thing away in a mew microseconds.

Senmut
April 26th, 2013, 03:06 PM
An example of why network programming execs should leave programs alone!

kingfish
April 26th, 2013, 03:11 PM
cutting galactica 1980's budget to half didn't help. all of the combat scenes were archival footage from the original series. from flying a two seat viper into combat all we saw was the one seat viper in combat.

Senmut
April 26th, 2013, 09:18 PM
Yup. Those continuity folks were really on the triad ball.