PDA

View Full Version : New Must-Have DVD's!!!

Muffit
August 10th, 2003, 09:50 PM
Hi all!

I know I know I am DVD crazy, but I just had to tell you about these. As you probably know by now, Charlton Heston is the greatest to me, so it's not surprising 2 of the new 3 DVDs I want to mention are his!

SOYLENT GREEN
A scary (and very possible) future that may await the world. Costars Edward G. Robinson, Chuck Conners and Brock Peters. Be sure to read the ingredient labels on your tofu after watching this!
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00009NHBM/qid%3D1060576490/sr%3D11-1/ref%3Dsr%5F11%5F1/102-2167015-2574555

OMEGA MAN
A bio-weapon wipes out the world's population and only one man can save the remnants of humanity. I absolutely love this flick.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0790742802/qid%3D1060576560/sr%3D11-1/ref%3Dsr%5F11%5F1/102-2167015-2574555

MONTY PYTHON'S MEANING OF LIFE
Okay, okay -- so it's not sci-fi... This has got to be one of the funniest movies ever made! And underneath the humor there are some valid messages. The restaurant scene will have you laughing so hard you'll be crying!
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0000A0MFJ/qid=1060576535/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/102-2167015-2574555?v=glance&s=dvd

If you don't buy anything else this year, consider these 3! The first 2 are only $14.99!

Happy viewing!!!
:muffit:

The Blue Mule
August 11th, 2003, 07:08 AM
I just saw the DVD of "The Mission" staring Jeremy Irons, and Robert DeNiro. A poweful and gripping story of how Powers of 18th century like spain, portugal, and england create and nurture a mission in S america, then find it a financial and pious threat to their religion,and through political means finnally find it justified to destroy the mission and all its indian tribe subjects.

DeNiro plays a mercenery who enslaves the S Americn tibes people,but after killing his own brother,he turns himself to the church and asks for forgivness through penance,going from a man of the sword to a man of the cloth.

Jeremy Irons plays a kind harted priest who is sent to the tribes people to continue to convert them after the first priest was sacrificed, in one of the most beuitful openings ever on screen.
There are so many parallels to this story and what TPTB are doing to original Galalctica fans its not funny. Watch this movie, let it move you.

This is real beautiful and mature film making!

An incredible film. THESE are the people who should BE doing Galalctica. (Director Rolland Joffe,Writer Robert Bolt, and Producer David Puttnam)BSG needs a credible story that will last forever,not just till it hits the DVD stores.

Totally blown away....
Rich

shiningstar
August 11th, 2003, 08:31 AM
I saw Monty Python's the meaning of LIFE!
I lovvvvvvvvvvvvved that one! :D

Muffit
August 11th, 2003, 07:55 PM
Hi Blue Mule! I saw The Mission a while back. You're right it was really well done. I think it caught the flavor of the times well. It made me go away sad though cuz it is so close to real life. Central and South America were ravaged by Europeans who did things ostensibly for God but truthfully for profit. Now those areas have little if anything left in the way of natural resources. Not to mention what disease did to them.

I am happy that the space program thinks about that and takes preventive measures.

Shiningstar, I'm glad you like it! Life gets so dismal sometimes we all need a little humor to get us through, and Monty Python is great at putting smiles on my face. I love the machine that goes PING! and the birth sketches. Too funny!

Gemini1999
August 11th, 2003, 08:28 PM
Muffit -

I haven't seen "The Mission" since it was first released in the theaters back in the 80's! I will have to take a look at it again...

I've always loved "Omega Man" and "Soylent Green" - They are two wonderful "low-tech" Sci-Fi films! I will defintely be buying both of these as I have only seen these films on TV or cable..

P.S. - I love your dancing daggit icon! It always makes me smile when I see it!

Be well,
Bryan
________
TOYS EXTREME (http://www.****tube.com/categories/1094/extreme/videos/1)

Bug-Eyed Earl
August 11th, 2003, 09:02 PM
I just got "Wait Until Dark" on DVD. Great suspense flick form the 60s with Audrey Hepburn and Alan Arkin.

Muffit
August 11th, 2003, 11:08 PM
Thanks Gemini1999! :)

And Bug-Eyed Earl, I am not sure if I've seen that one, I will try and see it. Audrey Hepburn is great. Alan Arkin was terrific in the In Laws. That was one of my favorite movies.

shiningstar
August 12th, 2003, 11:16 AM
I loved that one when I watched it Earl!

I can't wait to see the in-laws Muffit.

Muffit
August 12th, 2003, 12:54 PM
Shiningstar,

They are remaking The In Laws right now, guess it will be out soon. I don't know if the remake will be any good, but the original was an absolute riot!

Falk: "Serpentine!!!" :D

Gotta love it. Stars Alan Arkin and Peter Falk. Alan Arkin is great as a nervous dentist who gets caught up in the most unbelievable espionage!

shiningstar
August 12th, 2003, 05:11 PM
As long as the remake of the inlaws isn't being "REMADE" by
Bonnie hammer and Ron Moore I think I can stomach it ;)

kingfish
August 12th, 2003, 05:27 PM
I can't wait until they finally put the ORIGINAL Star Wars trilogy on DVD.

amberstar
August 12th, 2003, 05:27 PM
This is off topic, but I just saw today where someone is remaking
The Dukes of Hazzard! The year 2003 must be the year of remakes!
Amberstar

shiningstar
August 12th, 2003, 05:28 PM
OH GEEEEEZ I hope the REMAKE isn't being done by
Bonnie Hammer and RON MOORE! :no: :no: :no: :no: :no: :no: :no: :no: :no: :no: :no:

amberstar
August 12th, 2003, 06:33 PM
If they are we are screwed again!:eek:
Amberstar

Charybdis
August 12th, 2003, 06:42 PM
kingfish, George Lucas has stated that the ORIGINAL versions of Star Wars will not be released, only his "special editions" since he says those are the versions he wanted to make, not the original versions which came out in the theaters.

As for another cool DVD, while not a movie, for those who love nature and the beautiful habitats of our beloved planet, Earth, this October they will be releasing one of the best natural history series ever produced, David Attenborough's "The Living Planet." It is a 4 disc set of the landmark 12-part series which was aired on PBS in the U.S. back in 1985.

I loved this series when I watched it back then and I have always wanted it on DVD, my wish has come true!!!

shiningstar
August 13th, 2003, 01:01 PM
I know what you mean Kingfish I have all the star wars trilogy on VCR! I can't wait until they're on dvd! Even my husband
loves Star Wars.

amberstar
August 13th, 2003, 05:55 PM
I loved Star Wars too. Return of the Jedi was my favorite.
Amberstar

shiningstar
August 13th, 2003, 07:45 PM
Mine too Amberstar ...........when Luke realized that
Liea was his sister ........the look on his face was priceless!

amberstar
August 13th, 2003, 09:22 PM
Or how about the look on Han's face when he relized Luke was liea's brother:D
Amberstar

shiningstar
August 13th, 2003, 10:13 PM
I LOVED THat One Amberstar! THat was soooooooo
Cool and the KISS after that ........that was so
romantic! (slighty humourous but soooooo romantic) :D

amberstar
August 13th, 2003, 10:24 PM
:D Right on!
Amberstar

shiningstar
August 13th, 2003, 10:27 PM
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
I also loved when Luke saw that his father soul had
indeed been saved and that even though he wasn't alive
he was now with Obi wan and Yoda!

Now that was a GREAT MOVIE!

amberstar
August 13th, 2003, 10:30 PM
Hopefully we will soon be discussing how great the Larson/ DeSanto movie of our beloved Battlestar Galatica is, and how cool each and every scene was!
Amberstar

shiningstar
August 14th, 2003, 06:48 AM
I'm soooooooooooo LOOKING forward to that Amberstar!
That's one movie I'll even leave the hubby at home to
go see ;)

kingfish
August 14th, 2003, 06:51 AM
Originally posted by Charybdis
kingfish, George Lucas has stated that the ORIGINAL versions of Star Wars will not be released, only his "special editions" since he says those are the versions he wanted to make, not the original versions which came out in the theaters.

As for another cool DVD, while not a movie, for those who love nature and the beautiful habitats of our beloved planet, Earth, this October they will be releasing one of the best natural history series ever produced, David Attenborough's "The Living Planet." It is a 4 disc set of the landmark 12-part series which was aired on PBS in the U.S. back in 1985.

I loved this series when I watched it back then and I have always wanted it on DVD, my wish has come true!!!

What I meant by originals is episodes 4 through 6. Sadly I know that only the special editions are only available for sale.

shiningstar
August 14th, 2003, 07:00 AM
AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW Kingfish
while the "special editions" are "NICE" ...........I
really liked the originals best. Oh well I'll wait
for the "Special editions" since they aren't bad
at all ........and get them when they're out on
DVD. Thanks for posting that Kingfish.

Oh yes I understand which episodes you mean ;)