PDA

View Full Version : Buck Rogers 25th Century youtube video

gmd3d
February 4th, 2014, 01:01 PM
Hope it ok to post here..

but I found this on Youtube. a video featuring my Starfighters from Buck Rogers.. it was a pleasant surprise.

what do you think.

by jizthewizFx
First Video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKHYZ511fQY

Second Video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XklPFlmnzGQ

Rhaven Blaack
February 4th, 2014, 03:47 PM
That was BEAUTIFUL WORK!!!
I REALLY LIKED the video.
The planes look PHENOMENAL!!!
KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK!!!

gmd3d
February 5th, 2014, 12:55 AM
Thanks..
I only created the models the animation was done by jizthewizFx..

There are a number of areas I would fix on the models (apart from the lack of textures) but they hold up well.

Rhaven Blaack
February 5th, 2014, 03:23 AM
Even though you did not include some of the texture, they still look FAN(FRAKKING)TASTIC!!!:thumbsup::thumbsup:

As you know, I build models out of paper.
The Thunder Fighter was the very first "kit" paper model that I had built.
It is not only one of my favorite (sci-fi) fighters, but the kit is one of my favorite to build as well. I have built several (all of which, I have added a GREAT DEAL of detail).

Here are a photos of collection that I once had:
5961 5962

Now before you say anything, some of these were of my own design and one was a kit-bash.

I gave all but two of them away.
Once the new Cockpit interiors are finished and I have beta test built them, I plan on rebuilding the entire squadron (and more).
Not only that, but there are a few other fan based designed variants of the Thunder Fighter in the works.

gmd3d
February 5th, 2014, 05:59 AM
Even though you did not include some of the texture, they still look FAN(FRAKKING)TASTIC!!!:thumbsup::thumbsup:

As you know, I build models out of paper.
The Thunder Fighter was the very first "kit" paper model that I had built.
It is not only one of my favorite (sci-fi) fighters, but the kit is one of my favorite to build as well. I have built several (all of which, I have added a GREAT DEAL of detail).

Here are a photos of collection that I once had:
5961 5962

Now before you say anything, some of these were of my own design and one was a kit-bash.

I gave all but two of them away.
Once the new Cockpit interiors are finished and I have beta test built them, I plan on rebuilding the entire squadron (and more).
Not only that, but there are a few other fan based designed variants of the Thunder Fighter in the works.

I was not going to say anything :) other than nice work!!.. :)
I never assume they had to be based on my work, but even it they where
so long as no one is making any money from them (free downloads) because I don't
I would have no problem with them been used this way or even with wood, paper.
all I ever want with my free meshes / Images / Animations is credit. :)

I posted a second video I found in the first post by the same animator..

Rhaven Blaack
February 5th, 2014, 06:41 AM
I fully understand how you feel about wanting the credit that you deserve for the hard work that you put into your projects (and rightfully so you should be).
That is something that I have always done, anytime that I have used someone else's work to either enhance or augment my own. It is only proper.

I really like the second movie as well.
I only wish there were paper models of the Hatchet Fighters as well. If I knew how to unfold the 3-D Sketchup model, I would turn that one into a paper model (with permission from the original artist, of course).

gmd3d
February 5th, 2014, 09:24 AM
My own view on releasing models is "I cannot control what people do with them" kind of thing. I have seen some of my models in art work around the web and no credits given (or) even on the wrong credit which can happen and that fair enough.

(most of my models are not my designs, I am only copying another persons work in most cases)

when I can, I inform the person "depending of the location/forum/site" :) that this looks like mine and I would like credit or fix the error.

my view is, that I am a part in a creative process, providing one of the tools to tell a story, that's up to the artist. like a painter using a paint brush etc.

Some people are wonderful and do what is asked, give credit, like the chap who spent "heavens" knows how may hours working on the animations above.

I am not an animator and I rarely do art, so like I say, my work is a small part of the finished process of the artist. even though I may have spent months building the models and take the artist a few hours to produce the image..

But I have found people who don't give credits,

so I no longer release my meshes, unless I know them or someone I know recommends them.

sorry for the long winded response, but there you are. :)

Rhaven Blaack
February 5th, 2014, 01:11 PM
No need for apologies. I fully understand what you mean.
I too have worked on various (different) projects and did not see ever see my name mentioned for the work that I had done. I know how frustrating it is. I also know just how demotivating it can be to see your work being used by others and they do not even say "Thank you".

Like I said earlier, you do GREAT WORK!!!
KEEP IT UP!!!

gmd3d
February 5th, 2014, 02:42 PM
Thanks again..

I am working on projects but no BSG at this time.. in a few weeks I hope..

maudib
February 5th, 2014, 06:51 PM
Well said Taranis. It's having NO control over what people do with your hard work that bothers me. I see people selling their meshes at websites like Turbosquid, and I know they don't have the intellectual rights to something like a North American P-51 or a Porsche 911 Turbo. Yet they produce amazing meshes and price them in the hundreds of USD. Maybe we could do something like that? Sorry to take your thread off topic.

gmd3d
February 6th, 2014, 05:31 AM
Yes I have problems with people selling what is clearly not their designs or models in the first place.

Turbosquid has been found to sell models not made by the sellers but in fact downloaded from forums like this. may great modeler have since stop sharing their work/meshes due to this problem as when we build something and share it is for the pleasure of sharing and been apart of something..

I have been asked from time to time 3DPRINTing some of my models and I have refused based on the fact that the designs seen here or else where are not mine,
I think the consensus is that if people are building models, studio scale models type of thing the owners of the copyright material like Universal, CBS etc, don't bother going after them if its one or two units a year type thing..

Like a FanFilm.. Star Trek say.. so long as they are not making money/profit all is OK..

but if you where to take say my model of a Buck Rogers Star-fighter, on mass, a few hundred SALES, they would fall on you like a ton of lawyers. there is exceptions, like if it for educational reason, or derivative copyright but that can be shaky ground.

I am not a legal person so I am not sure if this is correct,

no problem, you not taking the Tread off, but perhaps we should move it to another.. i think its an area that should be covered at some point

martok2112
February 6th, 2014, 01:04 PM
Nice to see your models in animation, Ger.
And it was very cool that the animator credited your work, as well as that of the guy who did the Marauders. :)

gmd3d
February 6th, 2014, 02:03 PM
always a pleasant surprise :)