PDA

View Full Version : How many lightwave users here

gmd3d
December 10th, 2010, 01:26 PM
I have a question for the Lightwave members here..

I sometimes get ask questions about the program and some set up
things in modelling.

Is there a call here to have a Lightwave User Group. To help each other and help get others started in the program.

perhaps if there is enough to get a few tutorials going in the future ..

I doing a tutorial at the moment but its a Star Trek related one thats going to be hosted on http://www.3dgladiators.com/ Colonial Fleets sister site.. among others as some of the techniques I am using where derived by friends.

is there enough interest in such a group

we can perhaps work on a few challenges in time and create some BSG models for the downloads area.

Tenement
Titon
Warrior
Pernik
Me :)

Tenement
January 15th, 2011, 12:49 AM
I'm a lightwave user though my modeling skills are mighty weak but it might be fun to have a LW group. (Certainly it would be very useful for learning and passing on tips.)

gmd3d
January 15th, 2011, 01:09 AM
welcome to CF Tenement..

here is a cookie for your the first to answer :)

But once I am of my Star Trek spin modelling wise I think I will return to BSG or Buck Rogers

Titon
January 15th, 2011, 04:51 AM
I've been using lightwave since 1999 but i do not know if there is enough to get a user group going. But you never know.

:)

Tenement
January 15th, 2011, 06:33 AM
welcome to CF Tenement..

here is a cookie for your the first to answer :)

But once I am of my Star Trek spin modelling wise I think I will return to BSG or Buck Rogers

Mmmmm, Cookies! Have you ever come across a CG model of the Draconian Starship? :)

gmd3d
January 15th, 2011, 07:08 AM
No ,, but I have thought about building one some day ..

Darrell Lawrence
January 15th, 2011, 09:19 AM
Lightwave user here.

Taranis, your tutorial, Trek or not, can be put here as well. I do plan on "mirroring" the new tutorials section at 3DG to here.

As for a LW Group, you gather, you lead :LOL:

gmd3d
January 15th, 2011, 09:55 AM
Ok ... will do... I will be returning to it on Monday :)

Pernik
January 20th, 2011, 07:51 AM
I'm a LW user , albeit a renderer rather than a modeller.

gmd3d
January 20th, 2011, 09:20 AM
I'm a LW user , albeit a renderer rather than a modeller.

and we thanks you for that .... how else will we see our model been used :):salute::salute:

Punisher454
January 20th, 2011, 11:08 PM
I think you guys (girls too) should do a LW sub-forum, makes sense. Perhaps it could lead to some collaborative group projects. Cant contribute much myself being a Max user, but I do promise to lurk from time to time.

Titon
January 21st, 2011, 03:53 AM
I wouldn't mind helping other's out in a group setting get there feet wet but, and don't take this wrong, i am not in the habit of creating work and releasing it for public use. I've been burned to many times over that and that's why you don't see much of my stuff online. It's kept close to vest since work i've done has been taken for credit by other's. I trust the community here and i am willing to help with anything else but creating models and releasing won't be happening by me. Sorry. Don't mean to sound like an arse but it's how i feel.

My feeling is you teach so other's may benefit by creating there own art. It's what makes you an artist in the first place. There's nothing wrong with using other people's material to render as long as it's given proper credit. Again don't mean to sound like an a s s but it's early and i've only had one cup of coffee.

:D

gmd3d
January 21st, 2011, 05:53 AM
I wouldn't mind helping other's out in a group setting get there feet wet but, and don't take this wrong, i am not in the habit of creating work and releasing it for public use. I've been burned to many times over that and that's why you don't see much of my stuff online. It's kept close to vest since work i've done has been taken for credit by other's. I trust the community here and i am willing to help with anything else but creating models and releasing won't be happening by me. Sorry. Don't mean to sound like an arse but it's how i feel.

My feeling is you teach so other's may benefit by creating there own art. It's what makes you an artist in the first place. There's nothing wrong with using other people's material to render as long as it's given proper credit. Again don't mean to sound like an a s s but it's early and i've only had one cup of coffee.

No your quite right if your burned in the past to keep things things to yourself, and we respect that. or we should.

but advise is golden and while I have no ideas for the group just yet. (I will soon as I finish my Enterprise Tutorial) ....

I just wanted to see who used lightwave for a project or 2 later in the year....

:salute::salute:

Darrell Lawrence
January 21st, 2011, 07:59 AM

How do you make a box? :LOL:

Titon
January 21st, 2011, 10:56 AM
How do you make a box? :LOL:

Remember those days??!!!

Where's the smoothing button!

DOH!

Darrell Lawrence
January 21st, 2011, 11:18 AM
:rotf: And these days, 5.6 is TOTALLY different than 9.6, much less 10, in how to make a box :LOL:

Yeah, them were the days... and I think they should come back!

gmd3d
January 21st, 2011, 11:34 AM
Oh a BOX ..... wow . you pick the hardest one :)

Titon
January 21st, 2011, 03:59 PM
:rotf: And these days, 5.6 is TOTALLY different than 9.6, much less 10, in how to make a box :LOL:

Yeah, them were the days... and I think they should come back!

Ah yes the day's of....do i dare say it????? TACHY!

Ducks from Darrell's flying rock!

Darrell Lawrence
January 21st, 2011, 05:11 PM
OMG! He finally admits it''s MY rock! :LOL:

Titon
January 22nd, 2011, 04:37 AM
OMG! He finally admits it''s MY rock! :LOL:

WHOOPS!

:yikes:

martok2112
January 22nd, 2011, 06:46 AM
I thought of starting a pessimist's club. (I was told it was a terrible idea.)
Then I tried to start a procrastinator's club.... I had to put that off for a while. :)
Alas, I am a Blender user. (Can't afford the big guns yet, but I will peek in from time to time. Perhaps some tuts in Lightwave might enhance my abilities with Blender.

gmd3d
January 22nd, 2011, 06:54 AM
I thought of starting a pessimist's club. (I was told it was a terrible idea.)
Then I tried to start a procrastinator's club.... I had to put that off for a while. :)
Alas, I am a Blender user. (Can't afford the big guns yet, but I will peek in from time to time. Perhaps some tuts in Lightwave might enhance my abilities with Blender.

might help .... I learned a good way to build the Teardrop (the Deck 2 and Deck 3 )shape on the Classic Enterprise through a Blender Tutorial ..
different names of tool same results ..

Darrell Lawrence
January 22nd, 2011, 09:17 AM
Nothing can help anyone using Blender.... :LOL:

Just kidding! Put the blaster down! Yeesh!

---

Where's the Star Wars movie making button in Lightwave?

martok2112
January 22nd, 2011, 12:15 PM
nothing can help anyone using blender.... :lol:

Just kidding! Put the blaster down! Yeesh!

---

where's the star wars movie making button in lightwave?

hassaaaannnnnn chop!!!!! :D

Titon
January 22nd, 2011, 01:09 PM
Where's the Star Wars movie making button in Lightwave?

You know! It's right next to the instant make me a galactica button! The blue Enterprise button is right next to it. Just don't hit the caps key our you know what happens then.

Darrell Lawrence
January 22nd, 2011, 02:50 PM
Let's not forget the green Import Max into Lightwave/Export Lightwave stuff to Max button either.

Titon
January 22nd, 2011, 05:52 PM
Let's not forget the green Import Max into Lightwave/Export Lightwave stuff to Max button either.

I found that one but just recently i also found a button that imports a full poser scene into lightwave without having to, ummmm, you know do that other stuff?

:P:

Darrell Lawrence
January 22nd, 2011, 06:01 PM
Yeah. that kinda made my ancient tutorial irrelevant :LOL:

Titon
January 22nd, 2011, 06:28 PM
Yeah. that kinda made my ancient tutorial irrelevant :LOL:

Good ole poser pro. :)

mikala
January 24th, 2011, 07:42 PM
I be a Lightwave user. I'm like it lot and lot.
That is how a LW user seems to be viewed over on CGTalk.
I use it for anything a need fast. Something I could never say about the evil that is Maya. Oh and yes I have used it and no I never took a liking to it.
Those that can and do..all the power to you.
Having seen some of the crazy stuff that has been made in LW I figure why go looking into another app when this one does all that I require of it :)
Hey does anyone know where the "MAKE New Topology" button is located?

Titon
January 25th, 2011, 03:56 AM
The only thing i wish Lightwave would embrace is character animation. It seems, even with the release of 10, that they are still miles behind the top packages like Maya for charater stuff. Otherwise i'm with you Mikala. Never could latch onto any other programs including apps like Zbrush. I took a couple weeks with Zbrush but alway's found myself back in lightwave. I guess it's a curse.

mikala
January 25th, 2011, 08:52 AM
ZBrush is my favorite plugin for Lightwave.

shaggy
January 27th, 2011, 12:38 AM
Love lightwave...
Have tried Blender, but it makes my head hurt....

gmd3d
January 27th, 2011, 01:15 AM
Hi Shaggy welcome to CF

mikala
January 31st, 2011, 05:41 PM
Hey there Shaggy.
I love what Blender can do but I simply can't grasp that interface.

gmd3d
February 1st, 2011, 01:31 AM
Hey there Shaggy.

that would be me too. :salute:

martok2112
February 1st, 2011, 01:33 AM
Hey there Shaggy.

mikala, there is an introductory interface video online at cgtuts.com. Look for the poster named Karan Shah. he gives a very good, very thorough introductory video regarding the interface of Blender. After viewing it, I was building stuff in no time. Download the video (likely it will be an .flv file...so make sure you have a media player that can playback flash files), and keep it on hand. Blender's basic interface is actually quite easy to grasp. :)

shaggy
February 1st, 2011, 02:35 AM
that would be me too. :salute:

Yeah took me about an hour to work out how to move the camera!!!!!:blink:

Folkrm
April 11th, 2011, 06:41 AM
Just wanted to drop by and say Hi, and i'm looking forward to doing whatever I can to help out on this project, and working with everyone here.

See ya soon

Ray Folk
Folkrm

gmd3d
April 11th, 2011, 07:25 AM
Thanks its great to have so much talent in this ...... makes it all the better

Thunderstruck
April 12th, 2011, 09:24 PM
Well, I have heard of blender and Lightwave.

I use Cinem4d.

I only began 3d actually like in October 2010.

prior to that I tried blender,sketchup and had a hard time trying to figure them out. was a complete nboob then.

Also tried Gmax originally with Renx, was for game Renegade and even with the quikstart guide manual it failed terribly as a learning guide for new users, though it says that for new users.

C4d is the first I have been able to grasp and understand to an extent.
3ds is the descendant of Gmax which is why I dont even want to try and learn it. it's UI is so confusing to me just as RenX and Gmax was.

Have seen 1 tut for Lightwave and must say it looks unusual.

Got my hands full trying to learn what I got. :-) maybe in future.
in all honesty though I think C4d is a very good and very powerful app.
and that many are adamant users of it.

Modeling aspects am waiting to buy some training on soon.

gmd3d
April 13th, 2011, 12:58 AM
Well, I have heard of blender and Lightwave.

I use Cinem4d.

I only began 3d actually like in October 2010.

Have seen 1 tut for Lightwave and must say it looks unusual.

Got my hands full trying to learn what I got. :-) maybe in future.
in all honesty though I think C4d is a very good and very powerful app.
and that many are adamant users of it.

Modeling aspects am waiting to buy some training on soon.

I started with Truespace for a few months before I switched to Lightwave
as most of the best models available where in that format ..... mostly Star Trek ..... apart from SteveW Galactica models there where at the time very few good modeller or models around........ I know a few great Truespace modellers now and my opinion of the Program has altered since

But I find lightwave easier from the start until now....... of course I only model now and rarely do any rendering and never animation.....

I think its down to what ever work for you and when you like what you use the product can be great as the results.

I have Tried Blender and found I cannot make the transition to it... :salute:

Limerickcot
April 13th, 2011, 10:57 AM
And I'm stuck here at the bottom using Doga L3! (scrabbles through lego box)

gmd3d
April 13th, 2011, 11:33 AM
Try Blender..... better option than Truespace as it an ongoing program ,,, Truespace as far as I know is no longer getting updates ......

Its free and is becoming very good from what I have heard and seen

TwoBrainedCylon
June 18th, 2011, 08:06 AM
Long time LW user. Have experience in MAX and Maya but love LW the best. (Started with Truespace and then Bryce in 1994). I'm a version behind with LW but considering the upgrade. Not sure as I don't do 3D stuff anymore -- or at least its been dormant.

All my best,

Russell

gmd3d
June 18th, 2011, 09:15 AM
Hey Good to see you again Russell.

hope to see you get back into LW soon..

I using Lightwave9.6 working on a few projects before I hit a creative Block ... arrgh