PDA

View Full Version : BG Studio Scale Model Builds: interested?

Last Battlestar
July 2nd, 2010, 08:16 AM
Man, I haven't been around these parts for a LONG time, but decided to drop in and check things out.

Looking through the threads, I've noticed many people asking for references, studio scale kits and wondering what other people are building from the Galactica universe. Well, I can tell you that most of the serious model projects are located at www.resinilluminati.com, where we have a dedicated Galactica Builders Group forum which features some extremely impressive ship builds including multiple Galactica replicas, Vipers, Raiders, Astral Queen (prison barge), Livery Ship, Basestar, various obscure RTF ships and more.

You will have to sign up to access this section (and a mind-boggling array of other mind blowing sci fi, builds), but I assure you it is worth your time. We also have various threads with extremely rare studio model photos from generous collectors. A detailed part map section also ID's almost every single kit part seen on the 'ol girl herself along with hundreds of photos of the original miniature.

We have industry professionals, garage kit producers and even regular guys like myself who are building dreams right in our own homes. My personal 11 year Galactica build can be seen here (but you'd better go to the end to see how she looks today):

http://resinilluminati.com/showthread.php?t=1203

http://resinilluminati.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=41229&d=1276444973

Please feel free to join us. It's not a kid's forum, but it is an active group of people with a serious passion for the art form who talk shop and life in a relaxed, liberally moderated arena. You don't have to be a modeller to enjoy what we have on show, but set aside a week or two to read through all the projects! Make sure you tell 'em I sent you.:salute:

Regards, Mike, Australia

137th Gebirg
July 2nd, 2010, 05:38 PM
Personally I would love to see someone kit out a half-studio-scale TOS G. A full scale would be to large and too pricey for me. But a half-scale...that one I might be able to go for.

Last Battlestar
July 2nd, 2010, 07:48 PM
That just might be in the works.:cool:

Mike

gmd3d
July 3rd, 2010, 11:03 AM
it a great build .. I´v been a member for some time now .. it a great source of refs and expertise

137th Gebirg
July 3rd, 2010, 10:04 PM
That just might be in the works.:cool:

Mike

Oh...reeeeeeally?

Hmmmm... :duck:

Punisher454
July 6th, 2010, 12:01 AM
good 3d model plus CNC machine = BSG any scale.

peter noble
July 7th, 2010, 11:39 PM
good 3d model plus CNC machine = BSG any scale.

I think the the dearth of ACCURATE models of the G doesn't make this a possiibility for physical modellers.

peter noble
July 17th, 2010, 07:48 AM
Mike posted this video at Resin Illuminati:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFsZ_3BJn2E

Titon
July 17th, 2010, 06:16 PM
Congrats Mike on an awesome accomplishment!

:)

Punisher454
July 19th, 2010, 01:17 AM
I think the the dearth of ACCURATE models of the G doesn't make this a possiibility for physical modellers.

Yes, but if a reasonably accurate physical model was 3d scanned, then a matching CGI model could be produced. This would be good for designing molds for the production of plastic parts at various scales.
Also a perfectly matching CGI model would be a good companion to go along with the physical model for SFX shots.
We all know that for many scenes physical models look better than CGI models, but sometimes the CGI models offer flexibility that the physical models cannot provide. If your physical model and CGI models dont look identical then you cant really switch back and forth between the two in the same scene.

But anyhow, this model is incredible, and I am thinking that the quality of the build most likely far exceeds the quality of the original studio model.