PDA

View Full Version : Battlestar Galactica The Movie Series!

KJ
December 18th, 2002, 03:10 PM
What if Galactica was done the same way TOS Star Trek revived itself and same back. Not as a TV show but as a Movie franchise! I ask this because i wonder why not, i was giving a reply to Zathras on the sci-fi boards telling him of why we should campaign to revive Galactica with or without using the old cast. Well it looks like Galactica needs to use that old Star Trek TOS arguement a little longer don't we?

The defunct Star Trek revival :The Second Phase = Battlestar Galactica attempts at Continuation! So let imagine what would be a good direction to take the crew should the franchise go the theatrical route.

"Battlestar Galactica The Movie"

Each movie would either follow Richard Hatch's novels or adapt Tom DeSanto's ideas for BG, follow a Glen Larson attempt of doing a Battlestar Pegasus style movie (non-walking Vipers of course) or going the Wrath o Khan route and have a movie based around being a follow up to an episode of Battlestar Galactica i.e. "War of the Gods", "Living Legend", or "Hand of God" would be good candidates. Also who would be a good director for such a follow up.

Points to discuss

* Name a worthy Director/Producer, should it come to pass

* What direction to go in?

* Should it take a page from Wrath of Khan, what episode should it follow?

* Who should be in it i.e. old cast, some originals and some new faces, all new faces and dare i say it a "Remake" should it go to the big screen?

* What studio/company should handle Battlestar Galactica if Universal studios had the copyrights sold to someone else?

* How many movies would there be should a good first movie be produced? 3 (Trilogy) 4,5. 9? or 10+?

* What changes could be made to a movie version that the TV version lacked?

* How big and sweeping an epic would you make the movie franchise out to be? or would it be changed to be a more science fiction based no fantasy elements style opus.

* Would you prefer the old cast to make cameos or be major plot based characters involved in the story.

* Who would you introduce (naming actors/actresses) as new characters and why?

* Who would you prefer to lose as a character in a movie version i.e. not appear (Muffit and Boxey?)

* What villains from the old show besides the Cylons would you introduce and why?

* What lost elements from the TV show would you return to a big screen version of Battlestar Galactica i.e. Green and Yellow Squadron, the Languatron translator, Landrams (Scarabs) used in early episodes Colonial bombers from the unproduced Beta Pirates script idea, the flying cyles from the unproduced Showdown episode and Galactica 1980

* Name something you like to see in a BG movie

* How long should these Galactica movies be, 90 mins? 120mins? 180mins? 240mins?

* What spinoff would come out of a movie franchise with the BG name on it?

* Would you prefer a Galactica movie done with older SFX like matte painting and matted effects and models or alot of CGI?

Food for though.

KJ

:)

KJ
December 18th, 2002, 08:11 PM
Hey am i getting the royal flush! Though everyone would like to talk about more Galactica here :confused: whats going on, everytime i come up with a new spin on things people show lack of interest. It can't be just Christmas can it? oh well ho hum back to the drawing board so to speak. Be back tormorrow with something new then. Cos i never give up.

KJ

:(

joebeaudoin
December 18th, 2002, 08:48 PM
To spurn some discussion...

* Name a worthy Director/Producer, should it come to pass

Tom DeSanto, Director/Producer; Richard Hatch,Producer

* What direction to go in?

It should be a continuation of the original. Let's use what's established, get the newbies up to speed, and go from there.

* Should it take a page from Wrath of Khan, what episode should it follow?

If we're talking about reintroducing a character, like Khan, from an episode: I say we reintroduce Iblis from "War of the Gods".

* Who should be in it i.e. old cast, some originals and some new faces, all new faces and dare i say it a "Remake" should it go to the big screen?

Originals and new characters.

* What studio/company should handle Battlestar Galactica if Universal studios had the copyrights sold to someone else?

Richard Hatch and Tom DeSanto should create a company. If not, give it to MGM. MGM seems to be pretty good to SF shows, like StarGate SG-1, Jeremiah, etc.

* How many movies would there be should a good first movie be produced? 3 (Trilogy) 4,5. 9? or 10+?

All the stories should somehow link into one another. So as many movies as it takes.

* What changes could be made to a movie version that the TV version lacked?

Better writing. Better actors. Improve the characters. More conflict within the Fleet.

* How big and sweeping an epic would you make the movie franchise out to be? or would it be changed to be a more science fiction based no fantasy elements style opus.

Keep the original mythology. But be more scientifically plausible in terms of space battles and so forth. (NO "Fire In Space" stories, please.)

* Would you prefer the old cast to make cameos or be major plot based characters involved in the story.

Major characters involved in the story.

* Who would you introduce (naming actors/actresses) as new characters and why?

If I knew who would be reprising their original roles, then this would help me decide. Without knowing who is/isn't coming back, then this would be like a shot in the dark.

* Who would you prefer to lose as a character in a movie version i.e. not appear (Muffit and Boxey?)

Get rid of Muffit. I never liked the thing.

If you're going to have robotic daggits, then at least create them to do a function in the fleet. It was mentioned that real daggits would be used to alert Colonial Warriors when the enemy approached. So use them for that.

Use them for fleet forensics (people do commit crimes, you know). Use them to find food. Use them on search parties on planets. Anything.

Oh, and daggits can be vicious. Instruct one to find Scott Bakula's pathetic dog and put it out of its misery.

* What villains from the old show besides the Cylons would you introduce and why?

Count Iblis (and others like him, I'm sure they're others).

And the Borrellian Nomen. They had more balls than Worf ever did.

* What lost elements from the TV show would you return to a big screen version of Battlestar Galactica i.e. Green and Yellow Squadron, the Languatron translator, Landrams (Scarabs) used in early episodes Colonial bombers from the unproduced Beta Pirates script idea, the flying cyles from the unproduced Showdown episode and Galactica 1980

I thought Green and Yellow Squadrons were fictional ones conjured by Apollo and Starbuck?

I would return a majority of the technologies. Enhance them. Make them more realistic.

And how bout equality for wearers of pressure suits. If women must wear them, then men must as well. Give the women what they want as well, so that men can enjoy the fruits found in pressure suits. :cool:

* Name something you like to see in a BG movie.

A better Athena.

* How long should these Galactica movies be, 90 mins? 120mins? 180mins? 240mins?

As long as is required to properly tell the story or stories.

* What spinoff would come out of a movie franchise with the BG name on it?

Battlestar Galactica: The Pegasus Chronicles.

* Would you prefer a Galactica movie done with older SFX like matte painting and matted effects and models or alot of CGI?

A mixture of both. Going all the way with CGI makes the show look entirely fake.

KJ
December 19th, 2002, 10:27 AM
Thanks Joe, i've made alot of similar points in Warrior's thread a few days back so i paste up points that will answer some of my own questions and get some ideas flowing to at least stress the same opinions some fans share relating to Battlestar Galactica's future in either the TV or Movie mediums! Although in Warrior's thread it's ideas for a pilot it could be applied to a first Battlestar Galactica movie

From Warrior's "How would you rewrite Galactica" Thread. For those that didn't get to read it?

"I can take change, it's remakes with a beloved franchise i can't stand. Alot is lost with remakes just do your own homework everytime a remade movie based on a beloved series comes out. Fans or casual folk of the cinema crowd go to these film knowing they will be changed. On TV it worse because you get longer exposure to it. Knowing somewhere some there is a "johnny come lately" who is loving it or thinks this is what the show is all about."

"Seriously though if you want an opinion off hand, here are some changes to be made that i'd make.

New Battlestar Galactica pilot

Six Battlestars at the peace conference Atlantia, Galactica, Triton, Columbia, Pacifica, Acropolis. (all name plates would be seen)

We would see the Cylon homeworld "CYLON" The Cylon empire is five times larger than the Colonial's controled space. Giving the Cylons more credit for destroying the colonies.

We would see the twelve worlds before their destruction seeing the differences between the colonials.

The pilot would keep the Military Vs Civilians angle along with political strife and the class or tribe type disagreements.

Colonial Warriors more aggressive and strategy minded warriors of the future. Tactically sound in combat and ready to survive in any situation. They were at war for 1000 years so they can't be push overs.

More focus on the infantry and other trained Warriors of the Galactica as well as the Viper Pilots! "Colonial Black Ops unit" for example!

"Blue Squadron" would be the elite group of Colonial Warriors in the Galactica's strikewing. They have the best of everything military wise every Warrior want to be in Blue Squadron. Would be interesting storywise Apollo, Starbuck, Boomer and Jolly in Blue Squadron, while Greenbean, Bo-Jay, Sheba, Giles (later on) in other Squadrons feel jealously towards them.

"More Borellian Nomen". Men and women of this exotic race that must survive side by side with the Colonials. Borellian men are Warriors and tribal leaders, Borellian Women are the hunters and also study the dark arts of magic and sorcery (like the Seraphs and Count Iblis but not as powerful)

"Space Pirates". For all we know some Colonial Warriors turned rogue and took military weapons, Battlestars, small ships with them. It would add some real dangerous human enemies to the Galactica universe.

Alot of two part episodes. Plenty of storyarcs and big stories.

A smart and ruthless "Council of the Twelve" intellectuals, real wise men and women but also corrupt power hungry machiavellian bastards and bitches who would do worse than Baltar than sell out the human race if it meant they could get power.

More focus on supporting characters, the little people of the fleet.

Stronger mythological connections to Earth and mythology and biblical events of ancient Earth history. WHAT GALACTICA'S ALL ABOUT BABY!!!

History of Kobol explained so it's possible for any prequels spinoff's?

History of Terra explained so it's possible for any prequels or spinoff's? (i.e if it went into a series)

History and differences of the colonies explained

Orion first stop before Carrillon. Orion history explained so it's possible for any spinoff's later

Borallus explained but not seen. Adds mystery something to come back to?

i'll add more later."

As you can see all of the above could be applied to a new Galactica movie franchise and be a huge hit should any studio wake up and get going on it so there you have it. Similar to what i've seen on websites like the Matrix.com i like to draw afew short stories on the Galactica Universe either adventures of the Pegasus crew or the Rag Tag Fleet long as i could put up a few concepts and ideas fleshed out. I could always draw a opening scene for a BG style movie using drawings to illustrate what it would be like to see Battlestar Galactica as a movie!

My lithograph is taking alot of planning and it would cost alot to get the right paints and materials (it's stuck in rough outline form) But it would be easier to draw something in black and white to scan and put up for fans to watch than just talking about the ideas and not seeing them. I'm just dying to do some BG artwork full time but can't find any time to do it in. I've seen the art and CGI models here, but lets animate or draw some stories to read and enjoy too.

KJ