PDA

View Full Version : A couple bsg type pics...

David Kerin
November 21st, 2002, 09:11 PM
Have a new pic, and an older one, that I decided to post over at Renderosity.

The first one is called "The Ancients" and has a bit of a story that goes with it. It goes a little something like this...

"As the Battlestar Galactica and her fleet near the area of the Universe that is the home of the 13th Tribe, a large ship appears commanding they proceed no further. It is learned that these are the ancient Lords of Kobol, and Earth is under their watch, and protection. No one may interfere."

Or at least something like that.

Pic is here:
http://www.renderosity.com/viewed.ez?galleryid=283556&Start=1&Sectionid=9&WhatsNew=Yes

The Second pic is a landscape experiment and not my best, but I kind of like it.

http://www.renderosity.com/viewed.ez?galleryid=283558&Start=1&Sectionid=9&WhatsNew=Yes

Hope you like,

Dave

Stevew
November 22nd, 2002, 06:21 AM
Great stuff David as always
Steve:D :thumbsup: :D

michaelfaries
November 22nd, 2002, 10:49 AM
"The Ancients" - Reminds me of a pseudo-"Stargate SG-1" meets "Battlestar Galactica" (Ship of Light) with the pyramid top and the extended "branches" below. I love the image. The angle of the Galactica's approach is reminiscent of camera angles from the original series; it's exceptionally well done. And I like the positioning of the Vipers. There's something ominous about the alien ship/structure... and it's as though the Vipers are holding back, assuming a more defensive posture.

You can almost hear the dialogue on the Galactica's bridge. ("Look at the size of that thing!" Oops... wrong movie. ;) )

I just added it as my desktop wallpaper. ;)

Btw, based on your image description, I guess "Galactica 1980" never happens. The Galactica is directed away from Earth. hehe

---

"Recon" - I'd be curious what software you used for the landscape. The star's glow effects are fabulous. I like the stark, barren nature of the image. (The plant/branches on the far right look neat.) You pause to wonder if the pilot isn't opening the cockpit due to the inhospitable atmosphere/environment.

Y'know, Dave, you pointed this out to me on a few occasions, but let me make a similar comment: It's very cool to see what people create with your meshes. You and I can take the same models and create very different scenes. (Same applies to others, too, such as Fabio's and Darrell's renders of Steve's models.) And it's awesome to see the results. I hope more people will participate and render. ;)

Btw, I still owe you a call. ;) Hope you're feeling better.

Michael
:colwar:

David Kerin
November 22nd, 2002, 01:07 PM
Thanks Steve and Michael,

"Recon" was actually all MAX... well, wait, not entirely true. Originally rendered it wasn't as red, I altered that slightly in Photoshop. The landscape, atmosphere and lens flares are all MAX created.

For "The Ancients", I was thinking of some advanced human culture, maybe what the 13th tribe has become, but not nearly as advanced as the ship-o-lights. The progression toward the ship-o-lights design was intentional though. The pyramid of course for the Egyptian stuff.

I thought it would be a neat idea if we (on Earth) are from the 13th tribe, but the ones who colonized the Earth were kept primitive while the more advanced aspect of the tribe kept watch, and kept the planet safe... allowing the planet to evolve from it's own free will. Maybe as if the Earth was their "experiment", or their children, and maybe they watch over other "seeded" planets. This would also explain our planets isolation from the other cultures that dwell among the stars.

Needless to say they would not want the Galactica and her fleet going to Earth because they would interfere with the planet's progression. but being decendants of Kobol they would of course be allies.

In my mind's stories there would be some circumstance that would have someone end up on Earth at some point, and some interesting ways their new allies would help when the Cylons eventually arrive. (Possibly the pyramid can launch Wolf Man Jack and super charged microwaves toward a Basestar)

Clearly I've thought way too hard on this one. Add it up as one other fan idea of how the fleet would find Earth.

Maybe I'll continue a series of renderings along this line.

Glad you line the pics and thanks for the kind words,

Dave

kingfish
November 22nd, 2002, 03:03 PM
Hi David,
Both are excellent pictures and outstanding. When it comes to drawing I am like "A fish out of water." I can't draw for the life of me.

Paul

:thumbsup:

David Kerin
November 22nd, 2002, 05:16 PM
Certainly any of the artwork I have posted is free to use if you would like. Or if you wish I can go through and pick out my favorite 8 images and post the links in the "looking for images" topic.

I kind of had a feeling there would be a bit of a Stargate reference to this rendering, but as we know BSG did the Egyptians in space long before Stargate. And of course as we know Larson stole/borrowed the whole idea from "The Chariots of the Gods" (if memory serves me).

Looking forward to the Colonial Fleets page. Any estimated time for its premiere on-line?

Dave

David Kerin
November 22nd, 2002, 05:41 PM
Actually just posted my 8 over in the other topic.

cobrastrikelead
November 23rd, 2002, 11:01 AM
Wow. Impressive.

repcisg
November 23rd, 2002, 11:54 AM
What can I say, just incredible.

A thought - print these images and set up art gallary-like display for cons and convensions.

michaelfaries
November 23rd, 2002, 12:39 PM
Robert,

You must be using your psychic powers again. :) (The idea has been suggested. Hopefully we'll see artists being asked for such a display at the BG 25th Yahren Anniversary, if/when it happens.)

Michael
:colwar: