PDA

View Full Version : Superman Returns TODAY

jewels
June 28th, 2006, 06:25 AM
I have my babysitter scheduled and fandangoed my tickets. I'm so excited about seeing this tonight.

Jewels

Gemini1999
June 28th, 2006, 07:50 AM
Julie -

You will LOVE this movie!

Have a "super" time at the movies!

Bryan

julix
June 28th, 2006, 10:08 AM
Jewels same here we got a babysitter(grandma) and I bought the tickets yesterday and we are going tonight!!! I am excited too :)

On a cool side note our theater has been doing 5 dollar tickets on wednsdays(all day) and sat/sun before noon..........so our tickets were 5 dollars each!!!! Amazing!!!!

Gemini1999
June 28th, 2006, 12:00 PM
Jewels same here we got a babysitter(grandma) and I bought the tickets yesterday and we are going tonight!!! I am excited too :)

On a cool side note our theater has been doing 5 dollar tickets on wednsdays(all day) and sat/sun before noon..........so our tickets were 5 dollars each!!!! Amazing!!!!

Joni -

My ticket was a freebie (well, sort of). I got a voucher that came with the Superboy TV series DVD set I bought over the weekend. It was worth up to 10.50 towards the ticket price - which is 9.50 here in Sacramento.

I only had to pay for snacks - another 9.50....yeesh!

Bryan

Darrell Lawrence
June 28th, 2006, 02:38 PM
jewels and julix, you will absolutely love the movie. If not, Bryan will eat a bug ;)

I look forward to hearing your thoughts on the movie as well.

Gemini1999
June 28th, 2006, 03:31 PM
jewels and julix, you will absolutely love the movie. If not, Bryan will eat a bug ;)

Darrell -

Bryan offers no such thing....

I hope they enjoy it as much as I did......I plan on seeing it again on IMAX this weekend!

Bryan

Darrell Lawrence
June 28th, 2006, 03:43 PM
In the words of Reeve's Clark- Gosh darn it.

Tried to slip one by Bry but he's on the ball today :LOL:

jewels
June 28th, 2006, 05:31 PM
My babysitter cancelled on us, but the theater exchanged out tickets for Saturday, so no real loss. (And if she can't babysit on Sat., methinks bambino is going to a long movie, which he will sleep through most of. ;)

Darrell Lawrence
June 28th, 2006, 06:26 PM
The little one may suprise you and enjoy the movie :D

jewels
June 28th, 2006, 08:50 PM
He slept through 3/4 of Over the Hedge and the final race of cars--can we spell overstimulation? :D

Darrell Lawrence
June 28th, 2006, 09:18 PM
He'll be a true movie goer by the age of two :LOL:

julix
June 29th, 2006, 05:13 AM
So Bryan...............
I take it you loved it? I am getting my thoughts together about it. The snacks are soooo expensive it is just plain crazy anymore! Jewels if I had a dollar for every time that happened to me! Well you know the rest!

Gemini1999
June 29th, 2006, 07:44 AM
So Bryan...............
I take it you loved it? I am getting my thoughts together about it. The snacks are soooo expensive it is just plain crazy anymore!

Joni -

I really enjoyed the movie quite a bit. It's not that I didn't have a misgiving or two, but I realized it was mostly due to comparing the film with the original 1978 version. Every film has its flaws and it's a different experience for everyone.

I'm really a die-hard Superman fan - after Superman III & VI (and some of II), this film is far better in comparison. I can understand your misgivings and agree with some of them, but overall I was entertained.

I think that my only major criticism has to do with the length of the film. It felt about 10-15 minutes too long. I know that Bryan Singer did a fair amount of cutting to keep the length down. I wish that he had left in the "Return to Krypton" sequence that took place at the beginning of the story (for those that read the book) - It would have been an eye-popping way to start the film.

I'm probably gonna go back and see it over the holiday weekend - I just got an email that stated the film wouldn't be out in IMAX until the first week of August.

Regards,
Bryan

jewels
June 29th, 2006, 08:48 AM
Thanks Julix. Glad I'm not the only one that got dates mixed up with the sitter.

Julie

KJ
June 29th, 2006, 08:58 AM
Well some of us have to wait until the end of the World Cup! But i'm glad others are finally seeing it.

I'm really a die-hard Superman fan

Same here Gemini1999. So i can't wait to see this new Superman movie and thensome. I also plan to see this on the IMAX too, to really see Supes fly on the biggest screen there is. I've heard the opening credits are just like the 1978 movie thus honoring what came before (where have we heard that one before eh? ;) )

Although many Superman fans are treating this as the warm up to Warner's supposedly super-special "Superman 2: SE" The Richard Donner Cut on DVD later this year on the 14th of November 2006. part of the 14 disc DVD Superman boxset. The year of Superman indeed.

I only had to pay for snacks - another 9.50....yeesh!

Normally i don't spend more then £6.00 on food plus the cost of the ticket. But if you're seeing Superman with a group of friends (which i'm currently working on cos we want it to be a big night out etc) guess you gonna have to pay up a little more than usual for these event type movies. But i should think, in a small minor way isn't a movie like Superman worth it?

I'm probably gonna go back and see it over the holiday weekend - I just got an email that stated the film wouldn't be out in IMAX until the first week of August.

Not so for us over here, Since we have only th IMAX in London's Waterloo and Science Museum. So besides regular cinemas people over here can pop down to the IMAX in Waterloo from July 14th and onwards. anyways i hope you go see it again Gemini, as i'm guessing Superman Returns is good enough for multiple return viewings this summer! :)

KJ

Gemini1999
June 29th, 2006, 10:24 AM
I've heard the opening credits are just like the 1978 movie thus honoring what came before

KJ -

The opening credits aren't the "same", they're better! Same title style for the credits, same music, but the space scenes used are much more in keeping with modern VFX. I was very impressed with the opening credits - I felt "at home" when watching it.

Bryan

jewels
June 29th, 2006, 11:41 AM
KJ -

The opening credits aren't the "same", they're better! Same title style for the credits, same music, but the space scenes used are much more in keeping with modern VFX. I was very impressed with the opening credits - I felt "at home" when watching it.

Bryan
Oh, you made my day!!!!

We watched Superman I a week or so ago and I was telling my husband that I hoped they'd considered doing the credits in a similiar way. Nearly 30 years later it still makes the graphic designer in me soar when I see those credits run. Groundbreaking when they did it, classic now.

Darrell Lawrence
June 29th, 2006, 05:27 PM
As I have stated elsewhere- The opening credits really prep you for what is to come: Total awesomness.

I was only bummed the dedication was on the end credits, not at the beginning of the movie where they belonged (IMO)

Gemini1999
June 29th, 2006, 06:32 PM
This movie's really gotten under my skin...

I found myself looking at the movie times and thinking about going to see Superman Returns again.....It's only been two days since I saw it the first time!

It's been a long time since I wanted to see a movie more than once in the same week, much less than before the DVD comes out. I think I'm gonna see SR multiple times this summer....

Bryan

Darrell Lawrence
June 29th, 2006, 07:18 PM
It's been a long time since I wanted to see a movie more than once in the same week, much less than before the DVD comes out. I think I'm gonna see SR multiple times this summer....

BryanI hear ya, Bry.

It's rare that I even go to the movies, much less want to see one multi times on a BIG screen.

jewels
July 3rd, 2006, 05:16 AM
OK, we got to see it, FINALLY, Sat. night and it would be good if I never met Bryan Singer because right now I just want to hug-tackle him for giving us a wonderful movie. :LOL: Even had tears in my eyes a couple of times because it was just that sort of perfect. :D

I'm going to post a review later, but all the things that people are carping on being retreads of scenes from Superman the Movie, didn't read as retreads to me: they felt like loving connections to something I loved without being corny or nostalgic. The title sequence shows the attention to detail: in STM we are journeying toward Krypton for Jor-El's scenes so the titles zoom in from behind us, focus mid-screen and disappear. In SR the journey is from the ruins of Krypton to Earth so the titles begin midscreen focused and then zoom toward us and through the theater--a wonderfully subtle perspective change. The show only got better from that. :D

I want to go see it again. It's a little too loud for the kids though :D

Jewels

Gemini1999
July 3rd, 2006, 07:36 AM
I want to go see it again.

Julie -

I was wondering if you'd managed to see it over the weekend... I'm glad you liked it as much as I did.

I liked it so much, I went back on Saturday and saw it again - I liked it even more the second time! I may yet go again!

I can't wait for your review....

Bryan

Darrell Lawrence
July 3rd, 2006, 09:01 AM
I was suppose to go see it last night on my daughter's Father's Day gift ticket, but couldn't make it because my friggin' car wouldn't start!

oldwardaggit
July 3rd, 2006, 11:34 AM
I'm going tomorrow to see it. I would have went already but I'm not much for big crowds. One thing that surpises me though is that it's only up to 80 some mill so far. I thought it would make a lot more then that by now. Its respectable and I imagine they will eventually make their 260 million back but I thought it would have been more by now.

In the end, It's still a hit and proves that you can have a continuation of a 1978 production as long as it's well done and updated.

OWD

jewels
July 3rd, 2006, 04:49 PM
I moved my review to the thread Martock started in a different forum.
(oops!)

Bryan, Babysitter came over so we did get to go, kidfree. ;)

Warrior, I hope you get the car running and get to go again soon.

captmiloman
July 6th, 2006, 12:32 AM
I caught the 10:00PM showing. Didn't get out until quarter to one AM. Great movie. It brought me back to 1978. Chris & Dana would be proud of everyone involved. Now if Universal would get their act together and let DeSanto, Singer, & Larson do their thing with Galactica.