PDA

View Full Version : Colonial Shuttle - Lightwave

Monodox
June 2nd, 2006, 01:02 AM
Finally managed to make a start on updating the Colonial Shuttle model. I know that the Viper has been a perenial favourite for modellers, but I have a soft spot for the TOS shuttle... :)

(Hopefully I've attached the image files correctly and not made a total dill of myself....)

ernie90125
June 2nd, 2006, 04:14 AM
Great to see these images H. Very interesting to see how she will develop. You're right there is too much emphasis on the Vipers !

I'm actually quite surprised no-one has done the Rising Star, since her design is not that complex !

Great work......

Darrell Lawrence
June 2nd, 2006, 11:04 PM
I have done the Rising Star ;)

H, great to see that one revisited!

Smallworld
June 6th, 2006, 12:50 AM
Nice job! I have started on one of these too. Ity's just a pointy box at the moment, but hopefully will get finished this month. I always had a soft spot for this one too.

pappino
June 28th, 2006, 08:56 PM
Great job... keep up the good work!!

Stevew
June 29th, 2006, 06:12 AM
Why don't you show us the Riseing Star, it was great
S :)

Titon
June 29th, 2006, 01:50 PM
Love to see some updates on this one.

:)

Monodox
August 30th, 2010, 04:07 AM
Not sure if you classify this post as necro posting or more accurately as a paleo post as this thread has surely well and truly fossilised by now.

Well, after a number of craptastic years, I have finally managed to resurrect some of my modelling mojo and make a fresh start on the TOS Colonial shuttle. The aid of a lot of people over at Resin Illuminati, as well as 137th Gebirg's excellent schematics, has gone a long way to supplying the references for this build.

Strictly speaking its a Modo project now, but don't let that blunt your enjoyment. More soonish - hopefully a lot sooner than 4 years!!

mikala
August 30th, 2010, 06:10 PM
She'll be a beauty when she's done!
Of that I have no doubt.
Craptastic....sounds serious. Glad you found the mojo again.

Punisher454
August 31st, 2010, 01:57 AM
I havent had time to stop by for a couple of months (been real busy with a couple projects) but I'm glad to see somebody doing a shuttle.
My own shuttle modeling will resume in a month or two (I hope).
What is your current polygon count?

137th Gebirg
September 1st, 2010, 08:02 PM
Glad I could have been of service, Monodox. You look like you're off to a great start on your model. Looking forward to seeing your progress!

wjaspers
September 3rd, 2010, 07:40 PM
Looking good H.

Darrell Lawrence
September 3rd, 2010, 10:18 PM
Not sure if you classify this post as necro posting or more accurately as a paleo post as this thread has surely well and truly fossilised by now.Dude, it's your own thread and you're just updating. No need to worry about necro posting in your own thread :LOL:

Andromeda
September 4th, 2010, 08:32 AM
Nice clean looking model, :)

Monodox
September 6th, 2010, 05:26 AM
Update - and within the four year deadline :)

Filling in the kit bash detail above and below the engine area. Lots of little bits and pieces, some of which I have good reference for and some that I am eyeballing from the various sources.

@137th Gebirg - your plans have been of enormous service, sir, many thanks. Don't suppose you have thought of doing plans of the Canaris shuttle at any point - I am eyeing that up as a possible follow up project.

@Punisher454 - polygon count sitting at roughly 270,000 polys. Those kit bash bits tend to be poly hungry. I'll be intrigued to see what the final count is

137th Gebirg
September 6th, 2010, 10:36 AM
Re: Canaris shuttle, not at this time. Photo-reference of it is sparse and there was apparently some political in-fighting on that particular miniature not too far back based on who owned it, who was doing replicas of it, permissions on how the original was to be used, etc., etc., ad-nauseum, ad-infinitum, blah, blah, blah - and, as a result, getting good pics of it are going to be problematic in the foreseeable future. Sad, really, as the rest of the community suffers from lack of info. Can't remember too many specifics about the latest BSG pissing contest, but the same thing happened when photos of the Eastern Alliance Destroyer came out and the Big-G herself before that. Is what it is, I guess, when fragile egos are involved.

I was actually considering doing Andy Probert's "Delta Ship" that was seen in the RTF briefly, as I have collected some pretty decent reference material for it now.

Monodox
September 6th, 2010, 05:23 PM
Re: Canaris shuttle, not at this time. Photo-reference of it is sparse and there was apparently some political in-fighting on that particular miniature not too far back based on who owned it, who was doing replicas of it, permissions on how the original was to be used, etc., etc., ad-nauseum, ad-infinitum, blah, blah, blah - and, as a result, getting good pics of it are going to be problematic in the foreseeable future. Sad, really, as the rest of the community suffers from lack of info. Can't remember too many specifics about the latest BSG pissing contest, but the same thing happened when photos of the Eastern Alliance Destroyer came out and the Big-G herself before that. Is what it is, I guess, when fragile egos are involved.

We obviously read the same threads over at Resin Illuminati :)

I was pleasantly surprised with how well people responded to my search for shuttle references after reading some of the other Galactica threads from the 'hardcore' studio scale people. And I thought CG fanatics could be an egotistical bunch - or was that fan film types?

mikala
September 6th, 2010, 06:10 PM
All that wasted energy fighting over stuff like that when they could be creating and building!
Looking very nice for being just around 270k. Still have a long way to go before it will start choking most modern computers now.

Monodox
September 16th, 2010, 08:50 PM
Updates...

Slowly working my way over the top adding detail as I go :)

wjaspers
September 17th, 2010, 01:13 PM
Nice work H, guess putting textures on going to take some time?

ernie90125
September 17th, 2010, 01:40 PM
We obviously read the same threads over at Resin Illuminati :)

I was pleasantly surprised with how well people responded to my search for shuttle references after reading some of the other Galactica threads from the 'hardcore' studio scale people. And I thought CG fanatics could be an egotistical bunch - or was that fan film types?

Egotistical ? Moi ?

:rotf:

Monodox
September 18th, 2010, 11:01 PM
Egotistical ? Moi ?

:rotf:

Before ernie90125 gets too upset, I'll clarify that as 'fan film makers', and mainly from the SW side of the fence ;)

mikala
September 19th, 2010, 07:39 AM
LOL! Here I thought it was the ST crew :)

Monodox
September 25th, 2010, 03:16 AM
More progress...

Almost completed the greeble pass - just a few more bits to identify/add.

@mikala - My one experience with the ST world wasn't too bad - only one major change in art direction that required a reboot of the FX effort, plus some shots that needed match moving that were not set up for it while filming. My problem with the SW projects has been inflated egos, backstabbing and some outright nastiness between 'competing' projects - ie more personal issues rather than technical ones :...:

maudib
September 25th, 2010, 09:28 AM
This mesh looks great. Are you going to release this mesh for downloading once completed? I would like to use it in the future.

mikala
September 25th, 2010, 10:08 AM
Those last renders are outstanding.
Can already imagine it covered in old paint and grime.

Andromeda
September 28th, 2010, 01:56 AM
Looks like it's almost ready for a short film :-D

Monodox
September 28th, 2010, 05:26 AM
@muadib - will probably be releasing it on a 'request' basis.

@mikala - between me and 'paint and grime' lies the hidden path of UV mapping - something new for me to get my head around after many years of planer mapping in Lightwave.

@Andromeda - funny you should mention that, vague plans are afoot ;)

Andromeda
September 28th, 2010, 06:53 AM
good stuff :) cant wait to see ...

shaggy
January 27th, 2011, 12:55 AM
She's Purdy....

gmd3d
January 27th, 2011, 01:16 AM
I love this design ..... must try it some day

Punisher454
January 27th, 2011, 07:55 AM
This really is a great shuttle model. Its very true to the studio model. Quite a bit more accurate than my shuttle.