PDA

View Full Version : Discovered a way to find lost art from old websites

ernie90125
May 4th, 2006, 01:32 PM
Made and Amazing find !!!

There have been many threads about lost art, meshes, and animations. These have been lost on old websites etc...and when we discuss them years later we presume they a long lost in the mists of time - not so !!!!

A site called the Wayback Machine (http://www.waybackmachine.org/) allows users to freely visit many sites at various different times in their past !

For example, I am currently browsing the lost galleries of BattlestarPegasus.com !!!!

I have only visited the BP.com site on one of date archived of one archived year, and sadly not all images on the site remain, but many do, and if I search in other weeks it may be possible to find the other lost images.

For example, check out this art page made by a gentleman who recently got in touch through my website :

http://web.archive.org/web/20001214065000/www.battlestarpegasus.com/gallery/h_gibbens/index.html

As you can see not all images are intact, but there could be loads of lost material archived just waiting for us to rescue !!!!!

Have fun !!!!!!!!!!!!!! :salute:

Darrell Lawrence
May 4th, 2006, 07:27 PM
I've been aware of that site for a while now. That's how I recovered a few of my Viper images from the April Fools prank a few years ago.

Regarding the missing images we're searching for, did *those* come up for you? They didn't for me....

ernie90125
May 5th, 2006, 03:15 AM
Regarding the missing images we're searching for, did *those* come up for you? They didn't for me....
I'm not exactly sure which ones you're looking for. Perhaps if you could list some and details where they might be found ?

I've certainly seen a lot of images I'd never seen before. Sadly no lost animations, but I thought it would be a useful resource for people......

escobar
May 6th, 2006, 12:29 AM
It's hit and miss for me.
The thing about that site is...the media files have to be on the server of the original site.
Web Archive can't save media.

jjrakman
May 6th, 2006, 01:30 AM
Well, hit and miss is better than nothing at all.

Darrell Lawrence
May 6th, 2006, 02:51 PM
ernie, the images I looked for are from the old threads I revived not too long ago ;)

ernie90125
May 6th, 2006, 04:09 PM
ahh well...probably won't work then. The images must be hosted with the site as I understand it - since CF requires people link to images hosted off the forum, they wouldn't have been archived along with the site.

Darrell Lawrence
May 6th, 2006, 06:52 PM
No no no... you mis-understand.

I didn't look up the thread URL there.

I looked up the image URL's themselves. Or linked image pages, ie BP's Gallery.

innovari
May 9th, 2006, 01:35 AM
Great tip! Thanks!!!