PDA

View Full Version : Poser Cylons?

Mizrael
March 3rd, 2006, 02:34 PM
Has anyone made Poserised Versions of the Cylons ni teh download area here yet? Enqyuiring Minds wanna know. :Nsalute:

wjaspers
March 4th, 2006, 08:44 AM
Billy-Home did so, it is at scifi-meshes.

Mizrael
March 4th, 2006, 01:40 PM
Woo Hoo! I'd heard he made one but they never said where it was. Thanks!

df0awg
March 11th, 2006, 03:18 PM
the model i tried is not working in my Programm :(
but i keep trying

Cdlzt
March 12th, 2006, 05:11 AM
thats a really good looking Cyclon, but how about Cyclons from the original series for poser?

RGUS
March 30th, 2006, 03:36 PM
I'd really just like to get this one

Gareee
April 1st, 2006, 08:35 AM
Hey Miz.. good to see ya! ;)

Darrell Lawrence
April 1st, 2006, 08:47 AM
thats a really good looking Cyclon, but how about Cyclons from the original series for poser?
I have one I made, but it needs some tweeking.

Gareee
April 1st, 2006, 09:22 AM
Can you post images? I poserized the LIS space pod, and am pretty handy with lightwave and poser...

Darrell Lawrence
April 1st, 2006, 09:44 AM
By the time it'd take me to post images (I'm at work, they're at home), I'll have already tweeked it by then ;)

Gareee
April 1st, 2006, 10:04 AM
I hear ya! LOL!

lucifer6
April 21st, 2006, 01:58 PM
Warrior, will your version of the original cylons ever be out for the general public? I too would really like to get ahold of one.

And if its not too much to ask, one that can be used in poser pro. LOL :Nsalute:

Gareee
April 21st, 2006, 02:04 PM
I think I've been trying to download him for like 3 weeks or so now.

Hey Mizrael.. did you ever manage to get the download to work for you?

billy-home
April 22nd, 2006, 03:20 AM
Gareee, here's a link to the model, let me know if it works ok

http://www.fileh.com/billyhome/Models/Cylon_Centurion.zip

It's also over at Renerosity as well

Cheers

Billy

Darrell Lawrence
April 22nd, 2006, 08:04 AM
billy, I uploaded yours directly here as well yesterday.

billy-home
April 22nd, 2006, 05:51 PM
Cheers Warrior, funny thing is I've no idea why I didn't upload it here myself, this place was first on my list once Wil said it was ok to release it. Any of you guys got a spare brian cell to lend me, obviously the one I'm using isn't working to well.

And how's your Cylon coming along, I'm really looking forward to seeing it myself

@ mizrael, is Lostin3D still up mate, I tried to go over there and the site was gone.

Darrell Lawrence
April 22nd, 2006, 06:57 PM
The Cylon is ready. Dunno if the world is yet though :LOL:

I just gotta figure out what's going on with a poly here and there ;)

billy-home
April 24th, 2006, 01:21 AM
The Cylon is ready. Dunno if the world is yet though :LOL:

I just gotta figure out what's going on with a poly here and there ;)

What format is it in Warrior, if it's in LW I'll take a look at it for you if you like, see if I can spot any problems. Any chance of a couple of pics possibly one as a wireframe view?

Cheers

Billy

Darrell Lawrence
April 24th, 2006, 09:53 AM
The LW version is fine. It's the Poser version in Poser that isn't looking quite right.

Fact is, I used to have this Cylon available for download, but something just didn't sit right with me, so I've yet to add it to the downloads here.

Jan Reinar
April 24th, 2006, 10:43 AM
Fact is, I used to have this Cylon available for download, but something just didn't sit right with me, so I've yet to add it to the downloads here.

Is the same Cylon Character that I used on this pic?

http://www.colonialfleets.com/gallery/data/media/1/AF04879.jpg

I found him in my brother old Poser Stuff ;)

I like the Character! :salute:

lucifer6
April 24th, 2006, 11:07 AM
The one in the picture posted by jan is missing his leg armor. Looks good to me otherwise.

Darrell Lawrence
April 24th, 2006, 05:22 PM
Jan, most likely :)

billy-home
April 25th, 2006, 01:23 AM
The LW version is fine. It's the Poser version in Poser that isn't looking quite right.

I'll take a look at the Poser version if you like Warrior, I've had quite a bit of experience converting stuff to work in Poser, and I know a lot of it's shortfalls, and some ways of fixing them, especially when it comes to mesh errors in Poser from LW, heh, after converting 80+ Dystopia city blocks and a stack of other LW models I've sorta got the hang of it now.

Cheers

Billy

Darrell Lawrence
April 25th, 2006, 11:05 AM
Billy, if you were to go to the downloads here and look at the Poser stuff provided by me, and over at 3dgladiators.com's downloads and looked at all the Poser stuff by me there, you'd see stuff that originated in Lightwave and was converted for Poser :D

I myself am pretty adept at making LW into Poser stuff.

It's just the Cylon I never gave any real attention to... yet :LOL:

billy-home
April 26th, 2006, 03:47 AM
Heh, I've already got a good bit of your Poser stuff already, so I know how good it is mate, I just thought you might like a hand is all.

Actually I've edited part of your stormtrooper figure to get rid of Posers smoothing, (I hope you don't mind), since I wanted a good close-up of the helmet, here's how it turned out:

http://www.fileh.com/billyhome/site_pics/ST-edited.jpg

The top one is the original, the bottom one the tweaked version

I'm now just trying to replace all the other parts of the armour with these tweaked ones, it's getting the colours right again that's the hard part, luckily the surface names you used basically explain themselves LOL

Cheers

Billy

Darrell Lawrence
April 26th, 2006, 11:10 AM
Egads... that thing is almost ten years old! :LOL:

sawol
April 30th, 2006, 01:14 AM
Just wanted to add my vote for a Poser Classic Cylon! :cylon:

Surprisingly there isn't a whole lot of BG Poser stuff out there. Actually it seems most of the Sci-fi stuff out there is for Lightwave. :/:

I got Billy-Homes EXCELLENT Cylon (over at renderosity) from the new series and it's incredible. 'Cept I tried to make it chrome in Poser today and things that weren't on the screen didn't reflect. Probably an easy fix for that, but I'm new to Poser. :Ncylon:

Kinda off the subject, but does anyone know where there's a Classic Battlestar Galactica or a Serenity from Firefly for Poser?

billy-home
April 30th, 2006, 02:04 AM
I've never seen a Poser Galactica or Serenity, probably because both of them would be so difficult to convert properly to remove the smoothing that Poser applies to everything, the Cylon took about a week to convert, though a lot of that was because the original version was created in MAX by Wil, so some parts had to be rebuilt partially in Lightwave first. I've got a Galactica and the Serenity in LW, so one day I might give them a try, though I'd have to get permission from the original authors first.

As for your chrome material not reflecting in Poser, I very rarely use Poser for renders, but I think you might need to turn reflection on in the materials editor, I think there's an option in the node plug for relflections to turn on raytraced relfections, I'll have to take a look myself to see.

@ Warrior, LOL, I've had that stormtrooper for just about that long mate, it was the only Poser one about I could find then, and it did it's job perfectly. I also seem to remember there being some poses set up for it, but I can't find them so I could be wrong

Cheers

Billy

sawol
April 30th, 2006, 02:23 AM
Actually the Cylon was reflecting everything that was on camera, so-to-speek(the walls beside and behind him), but any poly's that were off-screen didn't reflect (probably because they didn't need to render in the first place), so I had white reflections in the middle of the chrome. :Ncylon:

The closer the camera was to the model, the more blank white reflected in the Cylon. What did reflect looked cool though. I can definately see why they didn't go with Chrome in the new series though. :bg04:

innovari
May 9th, 2006, 01:57 AM
In Poser you can put a reflection map on the chromed parts as you can see in the image that I've made (see below), in order to achive a realistic reflection effect.

http://www.innovari.it/179.jpg

SilentOne
May 13th, 2006, 12:44 PM
What models of cylons are available in Poser formats?

billy-home
May 14th, 2006, 02:45 AM
Just the new version for now, Warrior has uploaded it here, Warrior is building a TOS version which I think he's going to convert into a Poser figure.

innovari
May 14th, 2006, 03:59 AM
A Cylon TOS model in Poser will be GREAT!!!! :Nsmilie:

Darrell Lawrence
May 15th, 2006, 09:29 PM
It's actually already built and Poser ready. But it has some probs. I am going to hand it over to billy, if he doesn't mind, to fix it up.

My ol PC died on me, and I'm getting it fixed, so I don't have time right now to work on any models.

billy-home
May 15th, 2006, 11:27 PM
Sure Warrior, send it over mate, I'll see if I can fix it and then send it back over to you to upload here.

Billy

innovari
May 16th, 2006, 01:34 AM
I REALLY hope that you will fix your pc SOON :)
Anyway thanks in advance for the poser mesh... We will wait for it!

Jan Reinar
May 22nd, 2006, 06:59 AM
I hope you could fix your PC Wairror. :salute:

My old and good old PC also died this weekend! :cry:

Darrell Lawrence
May 23rd, 2006, 11:54 PM
I'm almost back to 99.9%!

innovari
May 24th, 2006, 03:57 AM

I'm happy to know it! :Nsmilie:
If I do not disturb you, and when you will be ready, please send me your poser Cylon, and I will start to do some art with it.

billy-home
May 24th, 2006, 09:33 AM

Good news there mate

Billy

billy-home
June 11th, 2006, 02:24 AM
Right, an update of sorts on Warriors Cylon, I'm having a few problems with the model too, probably similar to the ones Warrior was having himself, but I'm slowly getting around some of them and I'm hoping to get something usable ready in the next few days.

Cheers

Billy

innovari
June 11th, 2006, 02:58 AM
Great! I'm really waiting for it! :)

billy-home
June 16th, 2006, 01:20 PM
A bit of an update, since Poser basically ruined some parts of Warriors model when it was converted I've decided to rebuild some parts, and while I was at it update a couple of other parts, the head for one, to try and get this figure looking as close as possible to the TOS Cylon, here's a couple of pics showing part of the updated head

http://www.freewebs.com/billy-home/FWThumbnails/head%2D1.jpg

http://www.freewebs.com/billy-home/FWThumbnails/head%2D2.jpg

I'm hoping to get a lot more done over the weekend, all things being well.

Billy

Darrell Lawrence
June 16th, 2006, 09:34 PM
Pain, ain't it? ;)

billy-home
June 17th, 2006, 12:20 AM
Pain, ain't it? ;)

Got that right matey :...:

billy-home
June 17th, 2006, 07:45 PM
Here's a pic the finished head, it's not perfect but it's about as close as I can get it from the few decent images I was able to find.

http://www.freewebs.com/billy-home/FWThumbnails/head%2Dfinal1.jpg

Next is the neck and backpack, I'm hoping Warriors original is in good enough condition to use, and Poser hasn't screwed that up as well.

Cheers

Billy

Jan Reinar
June 20th, 2006, 12:13 PM
Great work! :thumbsup: :salute:

Aussie86
June 21st, 2006, 04:52 AM
Damn, this looks good. Can't wait

billy-home
June 25th, 2006, 06:37 AM
Here's another update, I still need to do a bit of work on the chest unit, it's not scaled properly right now, and also do a render of the backpack from the rear LOL, but it's slowly getting there.

http://www.freewebs.com/billy-home/TEMP/Vue%2DW1.jpg

It looks like I'm going to have to build the whole figure from scratch, Warriors figure was totaly ripped apart by Poser, there's almost nothing of the main figure I can salvage easily, all that seems to be intact is parts like the base arms and legs, and even those parts seem to have been partially altered, the boots too, so because of that I've decided to just rebuild the whole thing, which unfortunately means a lot more time, sorry Warrior, I can see now why you were having so many problems with this, Poser is not the friendliest program with meshes.

Cheers

Billy

ernie90125
June 25th, 2006, 07:34 AM
This is GREAT work. I am enjoying watching how this develops........

Darrell Lawrence
June 25th, 2006, 12:25 PM
Looking good, billy. Real good.

Who knows... maybe we'll get two versions out there, cuz I'm finding a little time again to work on it again, and a rebuild is the way i'm gonna go too :LOL:

PS- You gonna use that account I set up for ya?

billy-home
June 25th, 2006, 03:32 PM
This is GREAT work. I am enjoying watching how this develops........
I still owe you that anim mate, this model is the next step towards your idea of Cylon Vs Dalek

billy-home
June 27th, 2006, 01:17 PM
I've just uploaded some stuff to the account you set up for me Warrior, I'm still looking for a lot of it though, again thanks for this mate.

It's nice to hear your back working again, and a rebuild sounds like a better idea than trying to fix the original, I'm looking forward to seeing how you get on, hopefully you'll post a few WIP's as you progress, LOL and isn't it just typical, no TOS Poser Cylons for ages, then two come along at once :cylon: :cylon:

stratus
June 28th, 2006, 01:44 PM
Is it just me or is ypour Poser Cylon looking a bit...pregnant?

Jan Reinar
June 30th, 2006, 06:49 AM
Great work! :salute:

billy-home
July 5th, 2006, 12:04 PM
Not much of an update, made the belt and part of the arms, I also modified the chest unit so it mached the 'real' thing a little closer, I'm hoping to get a lot more done over the weekend all things being well.

http://www.freewebs.com/billy-home/TEMP/Cylon%2DWIP4.jpg

The biggest problem is finding decent reference pics, mostly detailed shots of the lower arm parts and the like, there's not nearly as much out there as I expected.

Thanks for looking

Billy

Gareee
July 5th, 2006, 12:24 PM
Looks great so far!

Darrell Lawrence
July 5th, 2006, 04:10 PM
www.wegottafindearth.com I think has lots of ref.

billy-home
July 5th, 2006, 11:41 PM
Thanks Warrior, I had most of the images there, but there's someexcellent ones I didn't have, especially of the arms & boots, this will make things a whole lot easier now.

Cheers

Billy

billy-home
July 26th, 2006, 11:38 AM
A small update, the upper body is now about finished, though I've not done the hands the same as the 'real' thing, those huge bulky gloves must have been really awful to work with.

http://www.freewebs.com/billy-home/TEMP/CylonWIP5.jpg

Next onto the legs, then the painfully slow process of making it into a Poser figure.

Cheers

Billy :cylon:

Gareee
July 26th, 2006, 11:52 AM
Why not just make the various bits props for a standard poser figure, even a very low res one that comes with poser?

Making the parts smart props will really just down developement time, plus if people want, they can also then scale them to fit on larger figures, like say a Freak cylon!

I'd scale James or dork up a little, and just make them smartprops for him.

In the readme just tell them to scale the host figure up, and load him up!

billy-home
July 26th, 2006, 12:17 PM
The idea is it replaces parts of the dork, but the problem with is type of figure is some of it needs to bend while others don't, so setting up the fall-off zones is a pain, and making them smart props is even more awkward, for example the arms, the shoulder needs to bend, but not the upper arm, then the space between the upper arm and lower arm needs to bend at the elbow, but only that small purple section, nothing else.

The same goes for the body, the whole thing is built as a new figure, not to fit any Poser ones, so I'd end up with 2 smart props for the chest, the under-lying suit then the chrome chest unit, it's simpler in the long run to have the suit as a figure on it's own, and them smart prop the chrome parts on later.

I've found it easier to cheat with this kind of figure, when it's imported into Poser only the parts that bend will be used, none of the hard parts, then I'll set up the rest as smart props, I can turn off the inherit bends from parent that way, very little in the way of joint parameters or fall off zones are needed....and if people want to scale the figure up and down they can work out how to do that themselves LOL, I've spent more time on this freebie than I have on some of the commercial stuff I've got to finish up but it's been worth it.

Thanks for the ideas anyway, very much appreciated

Cheers

Billy

billy-home
July 28th, 2006, 02:38 PM
No updates yet, I did finally have to work on the commercial stuff, but Warrior, I was wondering if you'd like to take a look at this as it stands now, see if you can come up with an idea for an easy way to do the legs, if you do, can you access the account you set up for me, I'll upload it there, or send you a link to it if you can't.

And I now, more importantly, I ACTUALLY HAVE THE WHOLE WEEKEND OFF WORK....WOOOHOOO, so with luck I'll get the bloke near enough done, and the initial conversions to Poser seem to be working perfectly, (very strange that), I'll upload some Poser WIP's in the next few days.

With luck I'll have this done by the middle of next month, and you guys will be the first to play with it....and then tell me where the errors are and I'll spend the second half of the month fixing him, Heh Heh.

Cheers

Billy

mrboner
July 28th, 2006, 06:05 PM
Bill, you're doing an excellent job, specially having in mind that the Cylon characters from the original series have details an pieces that are extremely difficult to model.
The Cylons from the new series are more 3D artist friendly.
As you said, it's a painfully slow process. Maybe like the birth pains.
You'll certainly have this pain to be replaced with the pleasant joy of seeing your chrome shiny "son" taking his first steps on a rendered scene.

Scatha
July 30th, 2006, 02:46 AM
I have to support the previous statement, you are doing a very good job here.

billy-home
August 2nd, 2006, 02:42 PM
Thanks for the replies folks, they're very much appreciated.

Note to myself
I must remember to never ever EVER mention the fact that 'I'm off work the whole weekend'....You will end up spending almost all of Saturday in work if you do...DOH!!!!....not fair *sob*

Cheers Billy

billy-home
August 8th, 2006, 04:05 PM
Here is the almost complete Centurion, I just need to add the chrome bits above the boots and then it's off to convert it into a Poser figure

http://billy.team-dystopia.com/Cylon-wips/CylonWIP6.jpg

I'm not sure if I should try and make the cloth bit that hangs down at the back, I've never tried to do dynamic clothing props before, so I don't really how to go about it.

Oh and I'll also have to make him his rifle, I've got one not very clear image to work from, but since it's a pretty basic model anyway it shouldn't take too long

billy-home
August 10th, 2006, 10:57 PM
Here's an image of the initial test in Poser:

http://billy.team-dystopia.com/Cylon-wips/CylonWIP7.jpg

I need to sort out the hands, the fingers don't bend yet, but that is a simple matter, the only problem I've had is setting up the shoulder armor, it doesn't move properly, so at the moment I've got it actually bending to follow the upper arms movement, which works but doesn't look to good in certain poses.

I've also modeled the cloth to hang from the back of the belt, but I've got no idea how to make it into either a dynamic prop or a workable conforming prop, I'll need to read up on that part.

There's also the blaster to make, which is a pretty simple design so shouldn't take long, so there's hope this thing will be ready before the month is out.

Cheers

Billy

billy-home
August 13th, 2006, 06:00 AM
Here's the 99.9% finished version

http://billy.team-dystopia.com/Cylon-wips/Cylon-final.jpg

Just a couple of little bits to sort out, the eye part and the cloth bit at the back and I'm about done

Billy

billy-home
August 23rd, 2006, 12:01 PM
I'm going to zip this fella up and upload it to one of the ftp sites I can use, for this figure I'll probably use the one Warrior kindly set up for me, I'll put a link to it in a new thread and that way anyone of you guy's who want to test it out can do so and also have somewhere to post any bug reports, because I know there will be some, I'm trying at the moment to dump the dynamic back cloth and find a way to make conforming, not had too much luck with that just yet.

Cheers

Billy

ernie90125
August 23rd, 2006, 12:44 PM
Billy..........he's looking great.

Not too sure about the purple......but I can't wait to see him kick some Dalek's plunger.

billy-home
August 24th, 2006, 02:28 PM
LOL , ernie, that's the actual colour of the later under suit of TV Cylons, the film ones were a greyish colour from what I could make out, I think it was possibly to make the grey ribbing stand out a little more, though I'm saying this, this is an assumption, from the reference images I was able to get hold of, many of which were from exhibitions of the old TV props, this was the colour used.

And I haven't forgotten about the anim I promised, it's just the Daleks are so much easier to move than the Cylons, heh heh, so it's working out how to animate them properly in Lightwave.

ernie90125
August 25th, 2006, 02:48 AM
the film ones were a greyish colour from what I could make out

It is this grey that I remember.

I respect your effort to base it on the series, but does anyone here remember them looking that purple ? :)
If you don't do this as people remember, they will presume(rightly or wrongly) you've got the wrong colour. Please can I suggest its changed to the grey version ?

Can't wait for work to start on this anim.....will be in touch to try and help make it something special..

billy-home
August 25th, 2006, 01:45 PM
Here's one of the main images I used as reference:

http://billy-home.3dgladiators.com/temp/SIDEFRNT.jpg

As you can see the under garment is a purplish colour, though I must admit, I think your right, the greyish colour does look so much better, I'm just about to start a new thread with a link to this model, anyone who want's it can go get it there, and are quite welcome to change the colour to grey, I think the material is called skin2, I'll have to check LOL, and since this is only the beta version, I can make the colour change permanent before the proper release to the uploads section here.

Any help with the animation would be greatly appreciated ernie, I've never tried to animate a Poser figure in LW before, I'm wondering if it might not be easier to try and rig him to work in LW instead, I'll just have to see.

Cheers

Billy

ernie90125
September 2nd, 2006, 04:17 AM
You're right. There does seem to be a purple colouring to the costume. However, a lot lighter than your Poser model currently has !!!

I can't help out on LW issues, but for the animation......I have devised a storyline, and can look into trying to convince people who own a Davros replica to let him appear as he has in other fanfilms. Will be fun......

sawol
November 8th, 2006, 11:16 PM
Yo Billy! Cool cylon, I cant wait till it's done. My vote is, of course, for a Poser version as to many Lightwave models I have downloaded lately dont seem to translate well to the programs I have opened them up with (mostly Poser and Bryce 6). If it is for Poser, is the armor going to have to fit on one of the pre-existing Poser characters (like Michael etc.) or is it going to be a character all on it's own?

billy-home
November 9th, 2006, 12:39 PM
Hiya sawol
The figure is about 95% ok, it is a figure on it's own but the rigging was based on Mike 2, I think LOL, but it does work as a figure alone, unfortunately you have to turn the genitals on, I forgot abnout that part when I rigged it, you should still be able to get the figure from the link I provided, it is good enough to use now with limitations on extreme poses which I don't think I'll be able to fix since the armour part, will, no matter what end up going through the base figure, My main problem is the back cloth, I'm not too hot with cloth dynamics in Poser, and the upper legs need fixing, unfortunately :Nsad: commercial work has taken over again and it's going to be quite a while until I'm going to have time to work on this.

Darrel, if you want to upload this as it stands to the meshes section that's fine by me, I'll let you know if and when I get the thing sorted 100%, and of course, as always, you have my full permission to mess with it and fix it up, if you also have the time yourself :cylon: .

Cheers

Billy

0edipus
November 17th, 2006, 09:40 AM
great model thanx for sharing .
do you know if it will run ok with imported bvh movement files ( or as ive sadly found in past with poser will it end up with inside out n dislocated arms or even worse mince along lol)
would love a lucifer poser to go along with it make a toaster chorus line
cheers :LOL:

billy-home
November 17th, 2006, 06:56 PM
It still has a lot wrong with it, and I haven't tried it with bhv yet, or much else to be honest, commercial comittments have taken over these last few months , so part of the fun side of the 3D side has had to take a back seat....sorry

Billy

Staby
November 26th, 2006, 05:14 AM
well, the Dystopia Poser series is so good that it make the wait tolerable :)

Toltec42
December 23rd, 2006, 10:20 AM
I'm sorry to be a little dense, I'm sure it's been answered some where here in the forums, but where can I find a Poserized Cylon?

billy-home
December 23rd, 2006, 11:43 AM
Here's the link to the thread with the download on, it's a page back in the forum

Poser Cylon (http://www.colonialfleets.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13277)

It's in the first message, the DL link is highlighted in blue

Cheers

Billy

Toltec42
December 23rd, 2006, 01:02 PM
Thank you so much!

by your command
December 23rd, 2006, 04:54 PM
yes ,this cylon is sweet!!!!thanks for shareing :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

ernie90125
December 23rd, 2006, 05:04 PM
unfortunately you have to turn the genitals on
I find myself somewhat confused and concerned about this part of getting a Cylon to work ?

Darrell Lawrence
December 23rd, 2006, 09:24 PM
Ernie, in Poser, you have a "Hips" part on the model. It comes with genitals on or hidden, wich in fact is two seperate Hip pieces, one with genitals and the other without.. It appears Billy made the hip portion on the Cylon over the genitals ON hip rather than the without genitals hip. Thus in order to get the proper hip to show up in Poser, you need to use the Genitals On switch :)