PDA

View Full Version : Piper quits Doctor Who

Sci-Fi
May 23rd, 2005, 10:27 PM
From Sydney Morning Herald:

Piper quits Doctor Who (http://www.smh.com.au/news/TV--Radio/Piper-quits-Doctor-Who/2005/05/24/1116700692210.html?oneclick=true)

May 24, 2005

Billie Piper is set to follow her co-star Christopher Eccleston in quitting Doctor Who, according to reports.

The 22-year-old, who plays the Doctor's assistant Rose Tyler, will return for the new series but it is not confirmed for how many episodes, a BBC spokeswoman said.

"With regard to how many episodes she will be in, we are currently story-lining series two," she said.

Piper is thought to appear in just three episodes of the next series.

Christopher Eccleston has already said he will not return as the Doctor for the second series. The BBC has brought in Scottish actor and star of Casanova, David Tennant as the next timelord.

The return of Doctor Who has been a huge success for the BBC - both critically and with audiences.

But the loss of Eccleston was a blow for the corporation looking to build on the success of the first series.

A BBC spokeswoman said plans for the second series had not been finalised.

"It has not been confirmed how many episodes she will be in," she said.

"We are waiting to see the storylines and scripts."

The first series of the returned cult program aired in Australia on ABC last Saturday night.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From Ireland Online:

Billie to quit Doctor Who role in second series (http://breakingnews.iol.ie/entertainment/story.asp?j=143892684&p=y4389339x)

23/05/2005

Billie Piper is set to follow co-star Christopher Eccleston by quitting Doctor Who, it was reported today.

The 22-year-old, who plays the Doctor’s sidekick Rose Tyler, is said to be leaving midway through the second series.

Science fiction magazine Dreamwatch reported that the former popstar had already decided to quit the BBC sci-fi show.

Eccleston has already announced his departure following one series, and the BBC has brought in Scottish star David Tennant to replace him.

Piper is said to appear in just three episodes of the next series.

Piper’s performance in the role of cockney companion Rose has received mixed reviews. Some fans described today’s reports as “awful”, describing the star as “fantastic”.

But another on the Digital Spy website said: “Companions come and go. Rose moving on will allow for different stories and characters to be introduced.”

A BBC spokeswoman said plans for the second series had not been finalised. “It has not been confirmed how many episodes she will be in,” she said.

"We are waiting to see the storylines and scripts.”

:( :Nsad:

TopGun
May 24th, 2005, 03:03 AM
Yeah I heard this in the Daily Mail today, Damn shame

BRG
May 24th, 2005, 08:54 AM
I will be sad to see Piper leave the show. I really like her as Rose, which was a plesant suprise as most fans thought she would be terrible.

But if you look at Dr Who, most companions last no more than 2 seasons anyway. The only exeptions I can think of are Jamie(Fraser Heinz) from the Troughton era who lasted almost 3 years, and Sarah Jane Smith(Liz Sladen) who was companion for almost 4 years during Pertwee into the Tom Baker era.

So it's about the natural time for Rose to bow out. Plus it gives the new Doctor- David Tennant the chance to buld a relationship with an all new companion. And of corse, it gives the papers and the fans months to speculate on who the new girl will be! ;)
BRG

Gemini1999
May 24th, 2005, 09:02 AM
This is kind of a dissapointment...

I'm really getting used to seeing Eccleston and Piper in their roles at this point, the show is doing really well, but both of the actors are giving it a miss....?

I wasn't too sure about Piper in the first episode given her age - she's been really great in some of the more character driven epsiodes. I was especially impressed after the episode where Rose got to meet her father by going back in time.

It's too bad that the actors don't seem to be as taken with the show as much as audiences are. I can't wait for this season to come out on DVD - it will be the first series of Doctor Who that I will have purchased so I can see it more than once.

I don't know David Tennant's work, but I'm hoping that he does a good job - it would be nice to see the franchise keep going on in a successful manner. It's better than a lot of SciFi shows being shown in the States these days...

Best,
Bryan

mikedx
May 24th, 2005, 10:03 AM
Let me ask a stupid question.

Is this show available in the US? If so, what channel?

Mike

Gemini1999
May 24th, 2005, 10:13 AM
Let me ask a stupid question.

Is this show available in the US? If so, what channel?

Mike

Mike -

It's only available in the US if you live in the most northernmost parts of the country that receive CBC (Canadian Broadcasting). It's only being shown overseas in the UK and other countries at this point.

There are other ways of "acquiring" the show, but you might want to wait and see if if pops up here in the US if you're not into downloading TV shows off the internet.

Best,
Bryan

Fragmentary
May 24th, 2005, 11:44 AM
Darn, I really like the job that Billie was doing on the show. I know that the revolving door of Doctors and companions is a staple on the show, but I'm not so sure that audiences will be as accepting of it as they once were. All the changes to the show have been to bring it in line with today's television style and to leave behind the archaic way the show was done before. Having a complete re-casting after just the first season is not really something viewers are used to. I would have thought they would have done whatever they could to keep one of the two leads on the show for as long as they could.

harryfielder
June 10th, 2005, 12:00 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v422/harryfielder/WHO/02June2005.jpg

Aitch,

Dawg
June 10th, 2005, 12:50 PM
I know a couple people who will be happy to see this, Aitch, one in particular.

Thanks!

I am
Dawg
:warrior:

Archangel
June 10th, 2005, 09:18 PM
Thank god. Nice to see that the rumour mill is as muddled as always. ;) :D

Gemini1999
June 11th, 2005, 08:58 AM
Harry -

Thanks for that bit of news. I feel much better knowing that Billie's still going to be around for a long while!

Best,
Bryan

Fragmentary
June 11th, 2005, 02:38 PM
Good news! Thanks for the confirmation, Aitch! :salute:

harryfielder
June 11th, 2005, 10:36 PM
Morning all,
I hope it's true but if not the show is still called Doctor Who, (and it's back on tv)
Last episode next week, I'll be there,

Aitch,
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v422/harryfielder/WHO/08April200510.jpg

TopGun
June 20th, 2005, 01:06 PM
Thanks, that info is great

Tabitha
September 8th, 2005, 09:10 AM
I miss seeing Dr Who on TV here, even in reruns. My fav character is still Ace. Bummer its not showing here, but then the Peoples Republic of Arizona is very um.. whats the word Im looking for....

tabbi

Darrell Lawrence
September 8th, 2005, 12:09 PM
Aitch only got to play a guard in an ep? Bah... they should cast HIM as Dr. Who! ;)

harryfielder
November 16th, 2005, 11:50 PM
Looks like Billy might go this time,,

Next one please :LOL:

Aitch,

spcglider
January 16th, 2006, 03:12 PM
The new show ROCKS my little TIME LORD WORLD. Its been exceptionally good so far. Who would have ever imagined that in the year 2005 the two most highly acclaimed sci-fi series hitting the airwaves would be Battlestar Galactica and Doctor Who???

I can't wait to see more of David Tennant. He's cool.

-Gordon

TopGun
January 17th, 2006, 04:31 AM
Yeah the Christmas Invasion was cool, David Tennant's Dr seems a bit un-hinghed :D