PDA

View Full Version : Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

bsg1fan1975
April 29th, 2005, 03:53 PM
Been looking forward to seeing this. I read the books back in high school and can't wait to see it. Hoping that it retains most of the stuff in the book. Clips look very promising!:LOL:

Tanky
April 29th, 2005, 09:09 PM
Im seeing it tonight, so I'll put up a nice review for you all, plus it'll give me a chance to play with the spoilers script :D

Tanky
April 30th, 2005, 07:57 PM
As promised I saw it and all I can say is FRACKING SEE IT NOW!!!! Its great!!

Ian_W359
May 1st, 2005, 06:51 AM
If you can get your hands on 'em, there are some really good radio dramas and an excellent TV series based on the books too.

Some web adresses of interest -

http://www.bbc.co.uk/cult/hitchhikers/

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/hitchhikers/

Don't panic!

Ian W359

Fragmentary
May 1st, 2005, 12:26 PM
Marvin from the old series makes a brief cameo in the film. Be sure to watch for the look on Arthur's face when he sees him. ;)

Also, don't leave as soon as the credits start. There's a little more to see.

Senmut
May 1st, 2005, 10:27 PM
I have the original TV show on video. I somehow doubt the film will measure up, but...

bsg1fan1975
May 2nd, 2005, 12:46 PM
I loved it. Good thing they didn't butcher the book. Hubby did not understand it but he liked it. I told him that you really should read the book to understand what happened.

jewels
May 2nd, 2005, 01:07 PM
I listened to all the BBC radio dramas: hoping it measures up to that. :)

TopGun
May 2nd, 2005, 01:42 PM
Going to see it next Sunday

julix
May 2nd, 2005, 01:42 PM
I liked it but never had exposure to the book or radio show.......hubby did and when he saw the movie, he thought it was ok. He thought the other things were much better..........

bsg1fan1975
May 3rd, 2005, 03:18 AM
I never had exposure to it till the early 90's when a former school acquaintence suggested I read the book. I have the whole series in one huge book, The Ultimate Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

For those who saw it and really enjoyed it but didn't understand it, I do suggest that you read the book. although the movie may not follow the book, the book is still worth reading!

Darth Marley
May 3rd, 2005, 03:21 AM
I listened to all the BBC radio dramas: hoping it measures up to that. :)

Prepare for disappointment.

Zaphod was terrible IMO.

They would have done better to just reshoot the original series script.

TopGun
May 4th, 2005, 02:27 AM
BBC 2 showed the first episode of the old TV Series last night

Tanky
May 4th, 2005, 02:35 AM
Zaphod was terrible IMO.

Well I disagree, I thought he was played out very well, better than the book in my opinion. My only complant with Zaphod was the location of his second head :Nsad:

bsg1fan1975
May 4th, 2005, 03:43 AM
Well I disagree, I thought he was played out very well, better than the book in my opinion. My only complant with Zaphod was the location of his second head :Nsad:

me too Tanky. I thought Zaphod was funny! Although I think they could have done like the book and had both heads on the shoulder. The point of view gun bit was funny! All in all it was good!:LOL:

Fragmentary
May 4th, 2005, 01:59 PM
I suspect the second head positioning was due more to budget considerations. If you want a realistic second head in every shot that the character is in, the money is going to add up fast. This way its there, the audience knows about it, but it doesn't cost anything. I thought it was a clever work-around.

Also, I kept wondering who the actor playing Zaphod was sounding like, then it hit me. He was doing an impression of George Bush! His president was the president. Once I got that, every line he said was cracking me up.

Artemis
May 5th, 2005, 03:11 PM
Marvin from the old series makes a brief cameo in the film. Be sure to watch for the look on Arthur's face when he sees him. ;)

Also, don't leave as soon as the credits start. There's a little more to see.

I missed the old Marvin cameo. :(
I never leave before the credits end, you never know what you will miss. It was a pretty funny little piece.
:salute:

TopGun
May 6th, 2005, 02:34 AM
Does everyone know where their Towel is?

TopGun
May 9th, 2005, 08:42 AM
Watched the movie last nigfht and all I can say is

WOW

bsg1fan1975
May 9th, 2005, 11:06 AM
Does everyone know where their Towel is?

Yup, its in the bathroom!:LOL:

Fragmentary
May 10th, 2005, 12:31 PM
Some mice ran off with mine. It was odd.

TopGun
May 10th, 2005, 01:23 PM
Well you have to watch those Mice, they are more intelligent then they seem